New to this... Need suggestions for stocking fish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robersonj

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! I am new to this aquarium stuff, and I downloaded this forum app trying to learn more. We recently (about a week and a half ago) purchased a 20 gallon MarineLand kit tank. It came with everything except an air pump.

Here is what we have done so far:

1. We bought the tank and also got some fish the same day. I know we aren't supposed to do that, but our 3 year old was begging for some fish, so we asked the person at the pet store if there were certain fish that could survive the cycle. He recommended some black tetra, so we got two of them. Went home, set the tank up quick and added the fish. That night, one of our fish died, which was probably our fault, and I feel bad. Lesson learned. Won't add fish right away next time. Second tetra lived and is still swimming around.

2. We took a couple water samples to the store. All levels except PH were fine. We purchased 5 goldfish to help with the rest of the cycle. We are giving these fish to my nephew. The same day we also bought a couple ammonia monitors that were on clearance and Tetra Smart Start, which I had seen rave reviews for on most of the other forums out there, and the reviews on websites were the same. We had also purchased the API liquid water testing kit from Amazon for $16.00. I have made sure to test the water frequently.

3. after the API kit came in, we tested the water. Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels were fine, but the PH was still high. It had been a few days after adding the goldfish. We purchased an albino Cory catfish and a dwarf fire gourami. We also bought PH stuff by API, and that has helped the PH start to come down.

4. It has been about a week and a half since setting up the tank. All of our fish look healthy and happy so far. The water testing has come back fine as well, but we need to get the PH down just a little.

So, here is my question. What else can I add to the tank? We plan on waiting a bit longer until we add more fish, and we are getting rid of our goldfish. Some people have recommended a plecostomos, but I wasn't sure if our tank was big enough. Others have recommended more tetras, danios, etc. I want some stuff that can help in cleaning the tank, but some that will look pretty, too. I have seen some people mention "schooling fish" but can't remember which types.

Also, is there a book or something I can purchase that will show me pictures of different types of fish along with how they are to be taken care of? I was hoping for an iPad app, but so far nothing has been found. I am sure I can find out all the info online, but a book would just be handy.

Any help would be suggested! Both my parents and my husband's parents had tanks but we were both so young we don't remember it!

Wow, sorry the store misled you. You're severely overstocked already I'm afraid. Goldfish (assuming they are fancies) need 20 gal for the first fish and 10 gals for each additional (they expend a lot of waste and can grow fairly large). Just for the goldies alone you'd need a 60 gal tank (if they are commons or Koi they'll need a pond).

I'm very surprised that that many fish in that tank after a week isn't showing ammonia readings. Are you adding 8 drops each from both ammonia bottles? I'd also advise shaking all of the test bottles for a few seconds before you use them (the nitrate tests require more shaking; just read the instructions).

Don't mess with the PH; whatever your normal PH is, it's fine, the fish will adapt. Messing with it can cause fluctuations which are bad for the fish.

I'd rehome the goldfish ASAP and cycle with what you have left. I wouldn't add anything until the tank fully cycles in 1-3 months.

The ammoia monitors are generally not accurate; same with test strips. The API Kit is all you need. Just be sure to read the instructions and follow them exactly.

Here are some links you should read:
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

What are the number readings.
As the backteria establish you wil get a spike of ammo, nitrite, and nitrate.
Your water might get a little cloudy from backteria bloom. It takes the better part of a month or two.

I would ease off messing w ph. What is it? Unless it is off the chart - 8.5 or more, it should be fine. Stable is more important and cheaper than "perfect." congrats on the purchase. Also, unless u want to upgrade later, I would avoid the Plecostamus. I love mine, but they can get huge!

So I want to see if I have this right for your current stock.

You have 5 gold fish that you plan to get rid of? they are currently in your tank though
then you have 1 black tetra, do you mean a black skirt?? like this Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Black Skirt Tetra
and 1 fire gourami
and an albino cory

I agree with librarygirl, I'd rehome the goldies ASAP.

Black skirt tetra, I'm going to guess this is what you mean, should have more than just 1, they are schooling fish. I believe I've read that 3 is the min but they would feel best with more. Ive never had them but have heard stories of 3 or 4 being ok but personally never keep schoolers in less than 5-6.

You may mean black neon and that's sort of the same idea, a schooler, I've never kept neons as less than 6.

I don't know if I'd recommend adding additional tetras though at this point in the cycling. I'm not sure if it would be better to keep the single alone or make him more comfortable with a few more.Someone else may have a more solid opinion on this.

Like it's been said I'd leave the PH alone, the constant adjustment will just put more stress on the fish and it's not really needed unless it's really high as mentioned.

Sorry your having a rough go with the petstore, I've learned the hard way not to trust the people working there. I was picking up a few fish this week and the guy I was talking to had this little 5 gal tank with 14 assorted tetras in it. :(

You have been a victim of the fish shop people!!! For a new tank I believe you leave the tank to cycle for 2-3 before adding fish. I'm surprised about the tetras since they can be picky about water parameters . If I were you I'd take back the goldfish, boost up the school of tetra to six and the cories to 5 leave it at that for a while before adding more fish :)

Back
Top Bottom