New to this, new to fish! New 20 gallon setup, need some advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danno

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Check it out. I've been wanting a new REAL fish tank for quite some time so yesterday I went out and got a 20 gallon and most of the main essentials to get it set up. I used to have a beta in college but he has since past away so it was time for an upgrade. I set up everything and got it running yesterday, after I filled the tank with water and added some AquaSafe dechlorinator and conditioner as recommended in Start up instructions.There are currently no fish in the tank. I just want to make sure I am getting the water correct first. So what do I need??? This is going to be a freshwater setup. I was also wondering what temp the water should be while I cycle the tank before adding fish. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you!

In the meantime here are a few pics of my setup. The seahorse and starfish glass piece was made my brother. Thought it looked pretty cool in the tank.

Wait... Can't figure out how to add pictures? Is it even possible? -_- lol :facepalm:

Good steps in not adding fish yet :) fishless cycling is imo easiest. Do you have a testing kit? I dont think tempurature effects it at all.

Thank you all, yes I just got some test strips for my water. What levels are appropriate when it comes to pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?

Hi and welcome! +1 to the links above. There's more involved than letting the tank run before adding fish (contrary to what the fish stores tell you). The first link above will explain cycling a bit and the other two links explain fishless cycling and fish-in. Choose whichever method you want but be sure you know what you're getting into if you choose a fish-in cycle. Good luck and let us know if you have any questions!

Thank you all, yes I just got some test strips for my water. What levels are appropriate when it comes to pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?

Test strips do okay for cycling but before you get any fish you'll want get yourself a better kit. Drop kits work the best. Strips are pretty inaccurate.

Back
Top Bottom