New to this sight. Can use any info for new tank. Thanks(:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Helloelliee

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay guys I'm new to this forum or forums in general! I just started a 55 gallon tank 4 days ago. I used stability to quickstart bacteria growth after reading numerous reviews that it's good stuff and actually works. Just wondering if anyone uses it and how it's doing for them. Also too, how many fish should I add at once for a 55 gallon? And how long should I wait before adding new fish? Any fish recommendations for a community tank? My temp is 78 degrees ammonia is reading at 0 even though I have fish in there, and my PH is around 7.0-7.5 any pointers on my tank is appreciated! any advice at all. Thanks:):ROFLMAO:

Hey thanks for the quick reply! I actually have a few albino cory catfish already. I absolutely love them! And I have platys so I've heard you can't really keep angelfish with small fish like that. I would love to have angelfish though, they are beautiful!

awesome pic btw! I wanted to do saltwater but figured I better just start with the easier one first lol

Thank you, I started with Freshwater too. I still have the tank running. I hope to upgrade it soon, I like both FW and SW.

The bacteria starters can be hit and miss, so I wouldn't rely on it, but you might get lucky.

Since you have fish in there and the tank is new, I'd be very careful before adding anything else since the tank isnt fully cycled. It's likely you have low ammonia b/c the tank is so large and the Corys are small (although I'm not very familiar with them so not sure how much of a bioload they have).

Do you have a water test kit? If not, get a good liquid test kit (API Master is best). There are two links in my signature for you to read: 'new tank with fish' and 'what is cycling.' Good luck.

hey thanks a lot! Good info. I was using the test strips but then quickly realized (sadly after spending the 25 dollars on them) that they don't really show color as clear. So I went to the store today and got a freshwater master kit, it tests ph, nitrate, nitrate, ammonia. It has two bottle for PH, one is for 6.0-7.6 and one for 7.4-8.8. So which one should I be using? The lower one? I'm going to be having different kinds of fish so what should my ph be around? Thanks guys:)

It has two bottle for PH, one is for 6.0-7.6 and one for 7.4-8.8. So which one should I be using? ..... I'm going to be having different kinds of fish so what should my ph be around? Thanks guys:)

I had the same question when I started... The answer is (drumroll) start with one and test the water. If it doesnt give you a good result try the other set. I ended up having to use the higher one because our water has a high pH. (Or to save time you can try both at the same time).

As for the fish, you should research the needs of the fish you would like in the tank and adjust the levels accordingly. As much as I normally loathe using chemicals, there are some you can get to change your water to accomodate your fish.

:fish2:

the best bet is to keep the ph stable. the fish will adapt to the ph. adding chemicals to change the ph up or down creates big ph swings and stress the fish out leading to poor health. unless the ph is extremely on one end of the spectrum i recommend leaving it as is. you can also change the ph if needed by adding driftwood or crushed coral depending which way it needs to go.
i never mess with my ph and i have fish spawning in my tanks. it may not be "ideal" conditions for them but they are happy enough to spawn.

the best bet is to keep the ph stable. the fish will adapt to the ph. adding chemicals to change the ph up or down creates big ph swings and stress the fish out leading to poor health. unless the ph is extremely on one end of the spectrum i recommend leaving it as is.

You're right, I should have made myself more clear.

Any changes using chemicals (if you use them) should be done BEFORE adding the fish, and if the fish are there and the water needs adjusting, the chemicals should be used sparingly and slowly, giving the fish time to adjust to the changes.

If you are adding water that has a large difference in pH, make what changes you can to the water to get it as close to the tanks pH level before adding it to the tank to avoid stressing the fish.

As to what that level should be, different breeds of fish usually thrive better under certain conditions including pH level. For example, some cichlids prefer a higher pH than most tropicals. The range for the fish you are stocking is what you are shooting for. And again, if you already have the fish, make the changes slowly. :)

:fish2:

Back
Top Bottom