New - Trouble with my water quality.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not sure about FW but plants sound like a good idea to me... and you say cut way down.... maybe you need to cut way down right away to help control the ammonia you shouldn't feed your fish any more then they can consume in 30-60 sec if they don't eat it all then you are over feeding.

If you can get that 100+gal running, then you are set!

Duckweed won't last more than 10 or 15 min with goldfish! :) That is one of their fav snacks ... by all means add it to the tank, but don't expect miracles ...

If there are hornworts around in the ponds, that would be a good one to add. Relatively undemanding (although you do need half decent light), it works like a nitrate sponge. My goldies pretty much leave that alone. There will be a bit of nibbling, the hornwort grow so fast that it is not a problem.

Lol before I fed them a pinch per day. I was thinking maybe a pinch every other day. I don't think I'm overfeeding them. I feed them first, and then I feed my chicks, and by the time I get back to the fish the food is gone. I'm more worried about underfeeding than overfeeding at this point. They also make it a point to eat Marli's food, which is kind of irritating, but atleast she still sucks on the walls of the tank. I'm hesitant about feeding them until they quit eating because I honestly don't think they'd quit eating. Maybe I will give them some duckweed to munch on this weekend. :) That would be awesome for me to watch. I'll have to keep my eye out for hornwort, because it sounds like just what I need.

I bought some odd miscellaneous plant at Walmart today though. They don't tell you what any of them are. It looks like an aquatic pinetree. I took off the plastic pot and the material it was packed in, and I rinsed it off and planted it in my gravel, and so far nobody is eating it. I think it's too coarse for them to mouth. They sure like hiding behind it though. And, I have a grow light hung up chest-level in my room, because it emits healthy heat onto my chick brooder, and it's enough to grow land plants in there, so it might help my water plants too. I also got a new filter cartridge, but I didn't switch it, I just rinsed the debris off the other one, and I'll wait and see what happens. If I need to change the filter, then I'm well prepared. Thankfully, with the filter I got, the new cartridges are only $1.77 a piece, and the other screen that goes in there is like $2.50, but needs to be replaced much less often. I bought my filter at Walmart.. And it had the word "Whisper" on its name, but I don't remember the brand. Maybe Tetra. Anywho, I bought the 2-10 gallon one and now I see that I should have gotten the 10-30 gallon one. So that was my mistake. :/

My fiance GOT THE BIG TANK TODAY! :D I am soooo excited! He thinks it's close to 150 gallons, but I haven't seen it yet. I'll take measurements and convert. It is missing a panel though which needs replacing. It had gotten cracked and they took it out so it wouldn't fall out and shatter. We need to spend another $250 to get it running (sigh) but it's well worth it for the price. I already have my filters picked out on the Petco website, and I'm going to go with two different kinds, because of the size of the tank and because they both work differently. The first one is a Rena Filstar something or other, and has tons of good reviews and is well-rated for large tanks. The second one is an undergravel filter, which I understand many people don't like, but it's the filter we had when I was little and it NEVER failed us. I always read reviews. :) I am so stoked! The only thing I am worried about is the initial price of setting up the tank. And also finding cleaning critters that are compatible with freshwater fish. I am going to miss Marli so much. But she will get big and fat in the koi pond, and hopefully won't eat anyone doing so.

Our big tank is... Get ready..

260 gallons! :eek: Did we SCORE or what?! :D

Marshall wants a clown loach, a fire eel, and a black ghost knife. Total measurements were 261.88 gallons. And it was free!

This changes everything though. I'm going to need a monster of a filter(s) to keep this thing clean. Any recommendations?

Not only can I keep my goldfish, but we can get more fish too. We still need to replace a glass panel and buy everything needed for the tank. It will probably be a good month or two until we're completely ready, but it's so worth it. :)

The glass panel could be quite expensive... what is the size and the thickness of the glass...(is it lamented glass?)

I have no idea. I'd have to have him measure it again. He thinks he can get it replaced for under $100, and he does this sort of thing alot (buying parts and pieces and fixing stuff...) So I'm sure he's not too far off.

I'm much more concerned about the filter.
The only one I can find on Petco which I like is rated for up to 400 gallons and is over $350.

Also he wants to put it on the middle floor of his 100+ y/o house, and I'm not sure I like that idea very much...

Congrats on the tank!

Big tanks like that should be on a concrete foundation, as it is going to weigh a ton (literally) when full. If you are putting it in a wood frame house, it needs to be over a load bearing wall that is directly over the foundation. The middle of the room is usually not a good choice, unless you spend the money to beef up the floor & build load bearing walls (or posts) directly underneath. You might want to consult a structural engineer for this.

You'll need something like a Fluval FX5 for this.
Hagen Fluval FX5 Canister Filter - Filters - Canister Filters at BigalsOnline
<You can find this on sale for ~$300.>
or perhaps 2 smaller canister, or a wet/dry & sump setup.

Oh dear lord. :(

I'm thinking maybe the basement will be a better place.. Marshall won't like it, but it's better than having 3000 pounds of water, glass, and gravel falling through the floor. :(

The filter you linked me to is the same one I was looking at from Petco. :)
Hagen Fluval FX5 External Canister Filter at PETCO
It has good reviews and it should be able to handle our aquarium as it's rated for up to 400 gallons. :D
It's cheaper on the other site than on Petco, so we'll probably buy it there. Now we just need to be careful that we don't overstock our tank. ;)

So far, our ultimate plan is to add fish gradually over time, as some of the fish we want (the fire eel) eat smaller fish, so we want to add them last, when the first fish have gotten too big to eat.

The fish we're looking to keep in here are the following:
1 calico fantail goldfish
1 red fantail goldfish
1 black moor goldfish
1 fire eel
1 clown loach
1 black ghost knife
And some sort of mysterious "electric orange pike" thing that I have yet to see. Marshall was looking at fish late one night and forgot to write down the website he found it on... :rolleyes:
I saw a fish that I just loved. I wanted it so bad. Then I realized it was a pleco. :( A longfin albino bushy nosed pleco. It was the coolest fish I've ever seen. If the durn things didn't eat goldfish, I would have made a deposit right then and there.

Anywho, are the rest of my fish compatible?

I've never seen a Petco in person, actually. Just the website. I'm sure it's quite a drive. I went to Walmart and of course they don't have any filters for anything over 60 gallons. :(

Actually, the clown loach, fire eel & ghost knife won't be really compatible with the goldfish.

The bushy nose pleco however, is just fine with goldfish. The BN and rubber lip are 2 plecos that will do fine with fancy goldfish.

I think you are going to have to decide on either having a "cold water" tank <even though fancy golds are actually not cold water & really temperate - ie halfway between cold & tropical> or a tropical tank.

If you are going for cold water, you can house a school of fancy goldfish with weather loach, hillstream loach & perhaps a few BN plecos. You can also go for larger golds like Shubunkins, wakins, etc.

Or you can go tropical & do the fire eel with bigger cichlids, etc. <I am no expert on tropicals, so others will have to chime.> It is really tricky to mix goldfish with tropicals, esp. big predatory fish you are considering.....

Considering I already have the goldfish, I think I'm going to have to go with that sort of tank, and maybe get some different goldfish and (YAY) the BN pleco. :D

My fiance is very much interested by "crazy" looking fish, especially those with bright colors. Do you have any recommendations there? I'd love to get a blue marron crayfish, but they are hard to find and from what I've read, they eat small/slow fish.

So far, our estimate for finishing this tank is around $1,000. :( I almost died, I swear. But we still want to do it. We'd like to start a horse business and a big fishtank would be excellent for our customers' lounge. :)

Well for "bright colors" or "crazy looking fish" I would say salt water :p this is one of my fav....
thumbnail.asp

and this one if I can I will try and also get... but they are hard to get to eat anything once they get to your tank.(they often die of starvation... they go on a hunger strike if they are not shipped with food)
Moorishidol1.jpg

SW & reef certainly has many more bright color & crazy looking fish. That may be an area you want to explore.

There isn't many bright color cold water fish ... perhaps shubunkins, but they are no match compared to a SW fish. The closest you can get in FW is a big cichlid tank, but that would leave out the goldfish. <Goldfish are snacks for the big cichlids. :) >

Goldfish & koi are developed in the East, and they are meant to create a calm, Zen like environment for quiet contemplation. You are not going to find wild & crazy there.

Perhaps you can go for 2 tanks ..... If the tanks are going to be part of the business, it is a tax writeoff ....

OH MY GOSH, that first fish! It's like a swimming tie-dyed dream! :D

I LOVE saltwater fish, but keeping the salinity perfect and chipping off dried salt chunks from my tank don't sound so appealing. Not to mention I'm sure the cost would more than double. But I could have one heck of a reef in that 260 gal. :) I've been watching "Life" on Discovery... "Creatures of the Deep" and "Fish" and it made me want a reef tank!

I might just get a variety of compatible goldfish. Zen & calm are what people are going to want after wrestling with muddy horses all day. And also, I plan on getting my longfin albino BN pleco. :D They are just awesome.

Back
Top Bottom