New Used 55 Gallon!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bruinsbro1997 said:
So do I :) One day I'm hoping to set up a goldfish community tank with coldwater fish in it :)

They are awesome :)) I love the fancy goldfish

Not sure about that combo but IMO better to be safe than sorry, firemouths when breeding unleash their wrath on everyone in the tank...
Thanks. I think I will avoid the firemouths. I like how they look, but I would rather have a few more fish in the tank.
What sort of fish would be ok with tiger barbs? I have heard that in schools of 8, they do ok in a community setting.
I am thinking of either a community based around gouramis, or fancy goldies, or some sort of african cichlid like peacocks, labs, or kribs.

absolutangel04 said:
Goldfish are one of the options I am considering. How many fancy goldies could I put into a 55 gallon? 3 or 4?

I'd say u could fit four and they get so big so it wont seem like such a small stock.... and they have a really long life.
( 10-20 yrs) They are wonderful adorable fish :)

Kribs in a 55?

What gender ratio should kribs be kept in? I know they are not good community fish if they breed. Are there species that could go in a 55 gallon tank? Dithers? Algae eaters? Top swimmer? Or are they best kept in a species only tank?

What gender ratio should kribs be kept in? I know they are not good community fish if they breed. Are there species that could go in a 55 gallon tank? Dithers? Algae eaters? Top swimmer? Or are they best kept in a species only tank?

I think it should just be a pair. Dithers could be some of the bigger tetras like bloodfins, bleeding heart, serpaes, etc. A BN pleco or a small group of SAEs would be very good algae eaters. Some top swimmers IMO should be congo tetras, your tank is big enough and the kribs will definitely not bother them.

I think it should just be a pair. Dithers could be some of the bigger tetras like bloodfins, bleeding heart, serpaes, etc. A BN pleco or a small group of SAEs would be very good algae eaters. Some top swimmers IMO should be congo tetras, your tank is big enough and the kribs will definitely not bother them.
Thanks. Any top swimming ideas other than congos? Not a fan of them.

Hatchetfish? What about purple passion danios? They're cool looking. Or how about some sort of rainbow?
I do like purple passion danios. I do not have any experience with any sort of rainbow, but most that I have sen are very pretty. Not a fan of hatchetfish.
Another thought I had was a community based around golden wonder killies. I have heard they can be a little aggressive sometimes though, so I am not sure what else could go with them. I also have heard that they will eat small fish like neons.

Most people say they are aggressive. However I have PMed a member before who has experience with golden wonder killies, and he said they were some of the most docile fish in his tank. They do grow big however, so yes there is the possibility they will eat the tetras.

Another danio you might like is Danio chorpae or CPDs. And if you don't like those, there's always glofish :)

I am mostly considering a goldfish tank or a community based on gouramis. Wow, so many fish, so little floor space for tanks!

absolutangel04 said:
I am mostly considering a goldfish tank or a community based on gouramis. Wow, so many fish, so little floor space for tanks!

GOLDFISH :)) hehehehehe I love their personality. Google red and black fancy golds. Or butterfly tails. They are gorgeous... Of course pandas are my fav. Panda oranges are cute too :))

Oh man, I went to get the tank today, and the guy I was going to purchase it from changed his mind and decided to keep it. I am pretty upset about it. I guess I its back to craigslist for me...:nono:

Dang that always sucks. I was just about to suggest paradise fish too. I just got mine and I love them! Active little things. And they stay rather small too! Well once you find another tank think about them!

Back
Top Bottom