New Used 55 Gallon!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

absolutangel04

Daphnia are People Too.
I got a 55 gallon tank with all the pieces and a stand on craigslist for $60. I am soooooo excited. So, what to stock it with....
The owner said the tank is cycled, but I will run water tests on it when I get it this weekend. There are 2 residents that I will re-home at my lfs once I get the tank (a common pleco and an albino oscar).
Any stocking ideas? I would like to maybe try cichlids of some sort. Firemouths? Yellow labs?
Is it too small for one green spotted puffer?
Violet goby?

Cool deal!

If this were my second tank, i'd do an angelfish community. What do you have already?

Cool deal!

If this were my second tank, i'd do an angelfish community. What do you have already?
I have a 40 gallon angel communinty with kuhlis, corys, platys, rummies, pitbull plecos, and a bolivian ram. I also have a guppy tank with otos, and a betta community with ember tetras.

Wow. I'm too new to suggest anything else but I'd love to see a video of your tanks. Did you post one somewhere?

In that big of a tank I'd say any medium-sized peaceful fish, like rainbowfish, or discus (if you're willing to try :)), congo tetras...maybe rainbow cichlids or earth eaters? IDK, I'm not the expert. Everywhere I have read people have different experiences with them so I'm not sure.

In that big of a tank I'd say any medium-sized peaceful fish, like rainbowfish, or discus (if you're willing to try :)), congo tetras...maybe rainbow cichlids or earth eaters? IDK, I'm not the expert. Everywhere I have read people have different experiences with them so I'm not sure.
I'm afraid of the pricetag that comes with discus. Lol. I have enver heard of earth eaters before. I will google that.

I have African cichlids in one of my 55g ;) goldfish in one and angelfish in the other.... btw congrats on the tank ! That's awesome

I have African cichlids in one of my 55g ;) goldfish in one and angelfish in the other.... btw congrats on the tank ! That's awesome
Thanks! I like Afrian cichlids, but I having issues finding good information about keeping them. I keep finding conflicting stories.

If you want info on Africans there is no better place than here. Lots of people keep Africans, myself included. They are hardy fish that are easy to keep and breed. Basically just stack some rock so they can hide, sand is a good substrate and as far as numbers go it's fairly typically to keep 1 male with 3-4 females. Just pick a species you like and get the correct male to female ratio.

If you want info on Africans there is no better place than here. Lots of people keep Africans, myself included. They are hardy fish that are easy to keep and breed. Basically just stack some rock so they can hide, sand is a good substrate and as far as numbers go it's fairly typically to keep 1 male with 3-4 females. Just pick a species you like and get the correct male to female ratio.
Thanks. Are there any species you recommend fo rthat size tank? I really like yellow labs and the blue johanni.
I also like kribs, firemouths, and apistos.

absolutangel04 said:
Thanks. Are there any species you recommend fo rthat size tank? I really like yellow labs and the blue johanni.
I also like kribs, firemouths, and apistos.

I think labs and johnnis would work ok

I agree, labs would go for sure and are very common and breed like rabits which adds up to either cash or free fish food ;-) lol

I also thought about a community with opaline gourami, honey gouramis, corys, and a small, peaceful schooler.

I also thought about a community with opaline gourami, honey gouramis, corys, and a small, peaceful schooler.

It sounds good, but I'm just worried about the opaline gourami. They get big, so I don't know how well the dwarves would do with those. However, to be fair, I have kept honey dwarf gouramis with gold gouramis, which are similar in size and tempermant to opalines.

It sounds good, but I'm just worried about the opaline gourami. They get big, so I don't know how well the dwarves would do with those. However, to be fair, I have kept honey dwarf gouramis with gold gouramis, which are similar in size and tempermant to opalines.
Ok. Thanks. I am not super attached to the idea, I am just throwing out suggestions. I have never kept a gourami of any sort before.
So, just to be clear, I mean the species honey gourami(trichogaster chuna), not a honey red dwarf gourami (colisa lalia). Are you saying "dwarf gourami" to refer to the species, or just a small gourami like the honey? I just want to make sure I am using the right terms so I don't accidentally confuse anybody. :) Regardless, you still make a valid point because of the size difference and temperament. I thought honeys were easier to keep in a community because they are more docile than many dwarves so maybe the opalines wouldn't bother them. But I do not know much about gouramis.

I usually mean honey DG whenever I saw "dwarf gourami", only because they really are dwarves, they're the smallest gourami only to be bigger than a sparkling gourami IMO.

Really it all depends on the individual fish. What works for me is getting the DGs first and then adding the larger gouramis when they're young. Keeping adult DGs with small young gouramis seems to get them used to growing along side with the other gouramis.

I know a lot of ppl don't like " goldfish " but I'm sooooo in love with my little guys :) they have adorable personality .... Just saying :))

img_1501458_0_fb774b57a43609b70cb2977ba526320d.jpg

img_1501458_1_6d87caaafe7451c544d4addf07ed8adb.jpg

img_1501458_2_41e0bc536021ce221a9321fcff2ea71d.jpg

These are are my guys. They will eat right out of your hand

Back
Top Bottom