New (used) tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smomus

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I just agreed to buy a tank and the add said...
"20 or 30 Gallon all encluded Fish Food,plantes Airplane Rock Filter,and Water Conditioner" They were asking $35 but I offered $25 and they took it. So, on the condition it holds water, I am the owner of yet another tank. (MTS, anyone??). They did say there was no hood, but the pic showed lights. Otherwise not sure what else I will have to purchase to complete the set up.

Anyway, my question is this: what should I stock it with? :popcorn:
I have been offered Koi for free, but did not have anywhere to put it. I absolutely love the coloring of koi! Would one koi work? I am thinking even if the tank is a 30 it is too small, right? :nono: Or what about a calico goldfish? I drool over them every time I go into petsmart. But again I am remembering they need larger too?

My other thought is a green spotted puffer, or maybe a pea puffer. I saw them at Walmart, and fell in love with them! (My lfs can order them in for me if I decide on this so that I do not have to purchase a fish from Walmart.) I have researched puffers and know they are agressive so it would be one puffer only. Also that they can start out as freshwater but do best with brackish and would need to be switched. I know absolutely nothing about brackish so have hesitated to do this. Perhaps you all can guide me through this.

Any other ideas? I will post after I pick up the tank on what size it really is. Hopefully it is a 30! :brows:

Koi get way too big, fancy goldfish or two would work, but would limit your tankmates. Walmart fish are almost always in terrible shape, I'd go to any LFS first before considering shopping there.

Have to agree- absolutely no koi in an aquarium. A fancy goldfish or possibly two would work fine depending on if its a 20g or a 30g. Skip the comets, shubunkins, commons as well because they grow too large for this size tank.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I would not think about a koi for that tank. Koi need a pond, and dont do well in tanks, especially one of that small size. 2-3 fancy goldfish might work, but would again limit your tank-mate options.
And about the whole purchasing fish at Walmart thing...DON'T DO IT!!! The fish at big name stores like that are improperly treated, and are most likely carriers of diseases that can be harmful to the fish already in your tank, even though they may seem to show no symptoms.
I would check at your lfs before going to Walmart...the health and quality of the fish there is just so poor!
I hoped this helped!

Thanks for the replies everyone! And thank you terrence for the link, so very informative!

Ok no koi, probably not goldfish either. I am leaning toward the puffer. but before I actually get one I've got to work on getting the tank up and going. I know they are smart fish and get bored, so I've got to get more things in the tank. Some drift wood and caves and such for a puffer to explore. I eventually do want to switch it over full marine, but that would be a work in progress over several months to a year.

I just saw the puffers at Walmart, I will not buy it from there! They have done some work lately and have drastically improved their fish section, however I still refuse to buy Walmart. Like I said my lfs can get me anything and I prefer to go there anyway...so much more knowledgeable!

On my way to pick up the tank. I'll post back with info and pics!

You'll notice the driftwood rotting very quickly in brackish/saltwater compared to freshwater.

IMO keep the water light-brackish until you've done thorough research and gather enough resources to convert to a saltwater tank. Once you get the resources, take out your GSP and drip acclimate from brackish to saltwater. A figure 8 puffer is another option if you only want light-brackish water.

Alright, so I've picked up the tank. It included the tank, which I think is a 20g, a light (needs a new bulb) some clown puke gravel (thrown away already!), some really cool looking glass beads, an airplane decoration, 3 fake colorful plants, few different things of food, some cheap water conditioner, a 50 watt heater (I cannot find a link to show the exact one, but yes I know too small for a 20g!), and this 5-15g Aqua-Tech filter without the media AquaTech Power Filter - Walmart.com
Obviously it is going to take a little doing to get it puffer ready. Need a bigger heater and filter. What is a puffers bio-load like? Will puffers jump? I would like to add some black sand and get some nice rocks to build caves and such. What about lighting? Where I have to buy a new bulb anyway, what would be best for the little dude? Are they like betta and like the calmer water, or would he like an air stone in it too? So many questions!!

They do jump. If you can't afford a hood, then cut some eggcrate to fit the tank. Recommended to have enough filtration to turn at least 10x the volume of the tank per hour. 20g = 200gph.

What kind of lighting? T8? Incandescent?

What I have is a generic incandescent. Should I upgrade it or is that sufficient?

Thanks for the idea on the eggcrate! I had not thought of that. Perhaps I will put an old filter on the tank (old aqua-tech 30-60 filter) then I can cut the eggcrate to fit until i can get one that is quieter! The filter works, just is loud because it is old. This way I wont have to fork out an arm and a leg to start out with.

I have decided to go with the figure 8 puffer. That way I do not have to switch full marine. So that adds more questions. I have read different things online. I have read anything from they like brackish to lightly brackish to fresh. So what is the consensus here? If its to keep the little dude in brackish then I know it is important to measure the salinity. What is the best method to do that?

Thank you for answering my questions! :thanks: I just want to be sure I have all this down before I actually buy the fish and make the same mistakes I did with my first tank! :hide:

If you decide to grow plants, then an upgrade is needed. Not necessary though.

Keep them in brackish water 1.003-1.005. Use a refractometer to measure salinity level. Even at light-brackish water, I recommend premixing marine salt and water inside a trash bin (with powerhead and heater) for a few hours. Regardless of advertisement, all marine salt need time to dissolve. Its the best practice, but there are many others who don't care and know how much salt to add when adding water directly into the tank.

Things kind of got put on hold for a few days due to work. I looked in Lowes and home depot for some black diamond blasting sand and they had none, only white. Can anyone suggest the type of store where I could find this? I want the black sand but I guess if I can't get it, I will be ok with the white.

You could call an industrial supply company in your area as well. They may not have that exact stuff, but I source my 3m colorquartz (ceramic coated quartz sand)/estes from a local place. It costs a bit more than blasting grit but its a lot smoother and comes in different sizes and colors.

Thanks jlk and jeta! there are several of those types of places around, I will look into that!

Spectra Quartz sand is another option. My last purchase was 100lbs of black sand for $41 including tax. Not very expensive considering that I didn't have to rinse the sand. I'll post another video soon when I open up a new bag and dump it into a tank without rinsing.

I found some decorative sand at Hobby lobby. Same kind that is used in sand art. Is that ok?

I got some salt as well. But after buying it I realize I better wait because the puffer might come as fresh water and I'll have to raise the salt. Or can I do that in a matter of hours when acclimating the fish?

This is the sand I got. Its basically the same thing just packaged different. Can anyone advise if this is unsafe? I have yet to open it.

View attachment 100095

I filled the tank last night so I could test the heater. It didn't take as much water as I thought, so the tank might only be a 15g. Will need to find a measuring tape. the thermometer said 70* this morning. I've turned it up to the max but I think I will have to get a new one to maintain a higher temp.

I bought a marineland penguin 350 yesterday. Going to put that on my 30g then put my penguin 200 on this tank. That makes the filter at least 10x. I also bought this http://m.petsmart.com/mt/www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754109&lmdn=Fish . I know its not reliable as a refractometer, but that is going to have to wait for now, unless I can find one cheap.

I was going to go in and order the f8 today but since the heater isn't keeping up I may wait until I get a new heater. :( we'll see if turning up the heater will keep it at even just 75*

Well the lfs let me know they got some gsp in yesterday. Sucker me, I went in and looked...

ForumRunner_20120614_135123.jpg

My daughter has named him Goblin. I will keep him freshwater for now. The only thing I have left to get is a light fixture. I bought a bulb, but it needs more then that apparently.
I will get more pics once I get my light :)

Back
Top Bottom