New water changer (python)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeatherW

Aquarium Advice FINatic
OK, so I ordered me a new water changer thing. not python brand, but similar - lee's gravel vac from drs fosters

thought I would try it out. first time i tried this I found out I needed a new part to make it fit my faucet. went to home depot and got the new (metal) part so it will fit my faucet. tried it out today and think i really need to go back and get a few more metal parts. the plastic things just aren't going to work very well. I am not able to tighten it really tight at the sink part. everything else seems to be fine.

so... I tried out the removing of the water part. this did not seem very effecient to me. is it because I was not able to make the connection super tight? it did take the water out, but did not seem to be as fast as when I was doing it by hand with the gravel vac that has the bulb you pump to start the suction. so I quit that and finished my old way.

filling the tank:
that seemed to work pretty good. temp matched the water and then began to fill. I kept the gravel vac part on - does that make any difference? I guess normally I switch everything around and go from the othere direction so maybe that is why it looked funny.

Oh!! and I forgot to dose the tank with my prime!! :hide: but I dosed it right away just as it was almost full. hope that was ok. it won't hurt my good bacteria that I am growing will it?

The python comes with everything to fit the sink. The water pressure will have alot to do with the suction. The chlorine probably killed some of the BB but not all, just always add it first.

The python comes with everything to fit the sink. The water pressure will have alot to do with the suction. The chlorine probably killed some of the BB but not all, just always add it first.

that is so sad!! OK, when I normally fill the tank back up I take my litte hose and put some of the water into the filter area to kinda prime it back up. when I am using the python thing should I not do this since that water is not treated? I will put the drops in the tank but what about the water that is sitting in the filter for 10minutes before I turn everything back on?

oh and the threads on my sink were just really skinny so I had to get a skinnier thing - right diameter, just too thick if that makes any sense.

HeatherW said:
that is so sad!! OK, when I normally fill the tank back up I take my litte hose and put some of the water into the filter area to kinda prime it back up. when I am using the python thing should I not do this since that water is not treated? I will put the drops in the tank but what about the water that is sitting in the filter for 10minutes before I turn everything back on?

oh and the threads on my sink were just really skinny so I had to get a skinnier thing - right diameter, just too thick if that makes any sense.

Do u unplug the filter? If u do then that water is fine, but yea don't put chlorine water in the filter, just add the stuff then just add the water to the tank.

I have an aqueon water changer and had the same issue with attaching it to the faucet, to attach mine I have to remove the coupling that goes between the tap and the valve and attach it to the tap then attach the valve, also if you keep your water running it will draw the water out quicker. When I do my water changes I always unplug my filters and heaters, with my HOB they syphon dry once turned off so I just use a cup or jar to scoop some tank water into the filter to keep the media wet and then it's ready to go once your done the WC. It's also highly recommended to dose your conditioner before refilling and dose for the full volume of the tank not just what was removed. It's also a good idea to leave the filters off for a while after its filled to allow the conditioner to do its thing, I typically leave them off for about 45 minutes after its filled. Good luck and once you get the kinks out you will love your water changer, as will your back.

thanks! I KNEW I was supposed to dose the tank first... I must have got excited and forgot using my new toy. Hope it doesn't set me back. I also always just unplug everything when I do my water changes - I will not add water to the filter anymore. rookie mistake! hope it doesn't set me back any

kdpuffer - what do you mean "keep your water running it will draw the water out quicker"??? maybe I don't really know how to use my new toy. how do you drain / vac the tank?

HeatherW said:
thanks! I KNEW I was supposed to dose the tank first... I must have got excited and forgot using my new toy. Hope it doesn't set me back. I also always just unplug everything when I do my water changes - I will not add water to the filter anymore. rookie mistake! hope it doesn't set me back any

kdpuffer - what do you mean "keep your water running it will draw the water out quicker"??? maybe I don't really know how to use my new toy. how do you drain / vac the tank?

It means to leave the faucet water running, that's what causes suction to suck the water out

Mumma.of.two said:
Wait, did I read that right?! You guys leave water from the tap running AND water syphoning from the tank? That seems like an incredible waste to me!

That's how the python creates suction.

Erm, I don't get it. Why waste all that water for the sake of saving 5-10 minutes during a PWC. Water is like gold where I am from. We have been on water restrictions for years. Couldn't wash cars, water gardens, fill pools, etc. I reuse all the water from my tanks for watering gardens, grass and pot plants.

If I had a drain to use I would, dumping outside isn't an option as its winter here and everything is frozen. To cllean my basement tanks I have to run hot and cold full blast to drain.

kdpuffer said:
If I had a drain to use I would, dumping outside isn't an option as its winter here and everything is frozen. To cllean my basement tanks I have to run hot and cold full blast to drain.

Fair enough. If you haven't got another option, you haven't got another option. :) it's a lot safer (and smarter) than dragging buckets up and down to the basement.

Ya it sure beats the bucket technique. Gonna have to figure something else out for when I get my big tanks cause it is gonna be costly to run the tap to drain 50+ gallons for a weekly 25% twice over. Might have to find a floor drain.

Ithought someone said something about using the tub to fill / drain their tank. is there an attachment you can get to fit the tub spout to connect to the python?
right now I am good using gravity to drain, but I am planning a future tank that is very close to floor level. how will I drain then? my kitchen faucet did not seem to have enough power to really drain my tank. it seemed faster to just use gravity. but... if i could connect to the tub faucet then maybe that would work better

Back
Top Bottom