Newb didnt research and is in over his head now please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bought my girlfriend a 55 starter for b day a year a nd a half ago....................... just set up my 3rd 55 along with 2 20's 30' and a ten' 16 hex awaits 3rd 20 also in the wings,,,,, buck up buckaroo stay here and it'll be a glorious ride ps she had to move out,,,, her dresser was wasting to much wall space lol

hi and welcome!

It's a fun hobby, isn't it!

Sounds like you're getting some excellent advice. I just had a few thoughts to add:

Brown algae is really common in new tanks...Once the tank is well-established, the levels die off a lot. Fortunately it's easy to brush off...I just go in with a brush before the weekly water change and dust everything off.

Overfeeding is a big contributor to algae. Make sure you're not overindulging the little piggies. They are *so* good at pretending they haven't eaten for a week!

I still have the original carbon filterpads in my Emperor filter, along with an extra filter basket with regular floss. The carbon quits working after about a month, but regular water changes do a better job for the same purpose anyway.....I have never bought new carbon. I just replace the floss in the other basket when it gets so old that it isn't filtering right anymore.

Make sure when you rinse the floss or carbon filter thing that you do so in tank water (maybe collected in a bucket during a regular water change) and NOT in tap water, so you don't kill the good bacteria.

Even when your cycle is complete, I recommend adding new fish gradually rather than all at once. Whenever you add to the bioload you create a new little cycle, and adding slowly lets the bacteria catch up.

Also, if you add a new fish gradually, it's easier to monitor everyone's health, and you run less risk of infecting everyone. Think about a quarantine tank for new additions....Nothing is worse than getting the cycle right, only to find that a sick newcomer ends up killing everyone.

Good luck! Welcome to the cult....er, hobby. :)

Just thought I would update everyone who has helped. When I tested last night, I finally detected ZERO nitrites and ammonia, and detected some nitrates :jump:

My oto cat and algae eating shrimp have survived so far, but the shrimp is starting to worry me a bit. He's just hiding next to the filter, and I haven't seen him moving around for a couple of days. It looks like my diatoms are gone for the most part, but the green algae has taken over. The sides of the tank are absolutely covered, and I don't know what to do to get rid of it.

Thank you so much for your help!

Hi,
Just a side note: Your oto cat will be happier with 3 or 4 buddies....they will eat cucumber/zuchini slices...just anchor the veggie in the tank and wait a day or so - the otos will quickly realize that it's yummy... :) (You'll need to supplement their diet as the diatome algae gets eliminated) Plus most otos won't eat algae pellets...veggies work best. Don't worry about leaving them in the tank for up to 3-4 days...when it starts falling apart, take it out.

Back
Top Bottom