Newb didnt research and is in over his head now please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shaunandkel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, several weeks ago my wifes 2 year old beta fish died, so to make her feel better about it I bought her a 10 gallon tank, with a filter and heater. I took the pet stores advice (Jack's aquarium) :oops: and waited about a week before adding any fish.

We added 2 tiger barbs and 2 gouramis. Well one of the gouramis kept attacking the other one, so we got rid of it and added 3 more tiger barbs. And then one of the tiger barbs got stuck in a rock decoration we had stuck agains the back of the aquarium, so we got rid of the rock and now we are down to 4 tiger barbs and 1 gourami. All of the fish get along fine.

Anyways, here's my problem. Last week I was doing some research because we had some algae forming in the tank. Low and behold I find this site, and start reading about "cycling" your tank and what not. So now I have cloudy water with some algae, and I don't know if my water is killing my fish or not. I was doing some research on here tonight, and went out and bought an ammonia test kit, nitrite test kit, and a nitrate test kit. I also bought a vacuum for my gravel. I also bought a ammonia filter (one of those bags that goes in your filter mechanism). As I was looking around, I was realizing that I don't know what the heck I am doing :). PLEASE HELP ME!

Follow the directions on the test kits, test the water, and post the test results. I would get a pH test kit as well. In the meantime, I would change about 3 gallons of the water immediately. Make sure you use dechlorinator in the new water. Use the gravel vac to siphon the water out of the tank...that way you'll pick up all the trash in the gravel so it doesn't rot and contribute to the ammonia/nitrite. Beware of any additives that claim to remove ammonia. Although they do convert the ammonia to a form that isn't so harmful to the fish, they will cause false readings on the less expensive ammonia tests. Also, go to the home page on this site and read the articles on cycling your tank.

Welcome to AA, Shaunandkel! :D

You are really going about this in the right way, with the correct kits and everything!

Logan's right, and I would pitch or return the ammonia removing filter additive - you need ammonia in the tank to cycle it, it's the food for the bacteria you are trying to grow, so the bacteria over time will "filter" the ammonia for you. If you use the product it will starve the bacteria and set you back.

It may take some weeks to complete, but if you are patient and wait it out your cycle will complete. Use water changes to keep the ammonia low, same for nitrite, and when you can't detect any measurable levels of those two values, and you are measuring nitrate, you are cycled!

Thanks for your help. I went to the pet store and got an entire kit to test for nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, and PH. I'll do those when I get home from work (3:00 AM :x ) and I'll post the results.

I'll have to pick up some dechlorinator tomorrow. It's amazing how misleading Jacks Aquarium was :evil:

Welcome to AA. Just don't let Jack make a bad impression on all LFS. You just have to look around locally and you will probably have a half way decent one around your neighborhood. I always check what my favorite LFS says against what is in these forums. The people here are great, and they have tried everything (at least once) that is out there. Chances are if the LFS tells you something or wants you to buy something, bring it here and ask. You will get more answers to your questions and probably save you a ton of time and more importantly, money.

You should thank your computer for bringing you here. Everything you need is here. Just like the name says: Aquarium Advice

Again, Welcome and we hope you stay and become part of the greatest Aquarium site on the net. Bothers and sisters...we have a new sibling!

Mike

Thanks for the welcome. I originally bought this for my wife, as I wasn't very interested in it, but turns out I kinda enjoy it :). Especially now that I have found an internet forum to go to for help. Internet forums are a great resource!

Anyways, what do you guys recommend to get rid of this algae? Originally it was brown, which I read on here is called diatomes (I beleive), but now there is some green algae starting to form. Thanks!

Brown algae, I believe, is due to not enough natural light, or flourescent light. What type of light is in your hood? If it's incandescent (long, screw in bulb), that may be your problem. I'm having the same problem and I'm replacing my lights.
If you do already have flourescents in, you may not have them on long enough each day. I read they should be on for at least six hours, some say 8 or 9 hours a day. I have my tanks on timers for six hours a day. My 10gal with incandescents is full of brown algae, my 20gal with flourescents has almost no algae. Same water params, same PH, same everything, except the lights.

Ok, I just got home and tested the water. Here are the results:

Nitrite:

Between 2.0 and 5.0 mg/l

Nitrate:

5 mg/l

Ammonia:

.25 mg/l

pH:

I'm not really sure what these numbers mean, and it's too late for me to read the instructions :) I can barely hold my eyes open. But I'm not sure if these numbers are good or not (I assume NOT).

Aquafriend, I have a flourescent light in, and it is definitely on for several hours a day.

Thanks for all of your help. This forum has really eased my mind a little, because now I know where to go if I need help. Thanks again!

Edit: I see that it is good that there isn't very much ammonia, but my nitrites are still pretty high.

TankGirl said:
Use water changes to keep the ammonia low, same for nitrite, and when you can't detect any measurable levels of those two values, and you are measuring nitrate, you are cycled!

Thanks for dumbing it down for me :D That definitely helped ;)

It looks like you're part way through your cycle. Your nitrites are a little high and should be brought down with water changes.

How long do you have the lights on each day? Diatoms are usually due to long periods of low-light.

Carbon inserts are used to remove medications or other chemicals from the water, some people keep them in all the time, but they only last a month and it can get expensive. As for the foam inserts, you shouldn't change them unless they are literally falling apart. This is where a majority of the good bacteria that keep your tank cycled are. I think most people change them every two years or so.

Welcome to aa

:d Welcome to AA :d
Diatoms are cause by low light levels but if Jacks aquarium sells oto cats, get one or two. They eat diatoms. As for green algae, dont follow instructions to get a plec - it well rapidly outgrow your tank. I suggest buying a cheap algae magnet or a algae eating shrimp. Be careful if you get a snail - they sometimes dont need a partner as they have both sexual organs, you tank'll be overrun in no time!

--Edit--

What type of gourami do you have? I bought an opaline gourami and he is great for a community :)

Ok, I vacuumed the gravel tonight for the first time. It didn't go too bad, but I ended up losing about half of the water in the tank :oops: So I added more water, and used the dechlorinator that I bought today (thanks for the tip!), and the water is real foggy. I tested the nitrites ammonia and nitrates, and my nitrates seem to have nearly went away and I detected a tiny bit of ammonia. What did I do wrong?

I am having my wife pick up an algae eating shrimp and an oto (How is Oto pronounced?) cat tomorrow, to get rid of the algae and diatomes.

We are going out of town for our one year wedding anniversary this weekend :D, and my mother in law is going to house sit for us. How often do we need to change the water? Thanks.

While cycling do water tests daily. When ammonia gets above 2.0 ppm or nitrites get above 3.0 ppm do a 10 to 15 percent pwc. Nitrates should stay below 40 ppm. During my tanks cycle pwc averaged every 2 to 4 days when the cycle hit peaks.
You should get buy for the weekend if you do a pwc just before you go. Dont have someone with no aquarium experience do it. I wouldnt anyway.

Happy first..........

The cloud is probably a bacteria bloom. No worries! It's all a part of cycling and should go away in a few days. Once cycling is done you'll want to do about 10-20% water changes weekly, and then vacuum once every 1-2 weeks.

Good luck on your first tank! :D Addictive isn't it?

Meiko said:
The cloud is probably a bacteria bloom. No worries! It's all a part of cycling and should go away in a few days. Once cycling is done you'll want to do about 10-20% water changes weekly, and then vacuum once every 1-2 weeks.

Good luck on your first tank! :D Addictive isn't it?

My mom has a cat named Meiko :)

But yeah, it is pretty addicting. Thanks again!

Oh yeah, forgot to tell you, my wife picked up an Oto cat and a algae eating shrimp today. I haven't seen them yet, but she said they're pretty cool to watch :)

Something that might have affected things is doing the gravel vac during a cycle. Sometimes that can stir up a bit of trouble, and set you back, as the bacteria that is present there has not had time to really get properly established. The stirring around of the gravel can actually kill off some of the bacteria, so I would not do that until the tank is established, then you can go to town on it and get all the gunk out. Just wave your syphon over the surface to pick up any solid debris for now. Also be sure and not overfeed while cycling, so the debris does not build up too much.

The otocinclus cat is a relatively delicate creature and may suffer being in a tank that is cycling. I would put worries about algae on the back burner - lets get you cycled and after that there are ways to deal with algae. Otocinclus are wonderful diatom eaters though - excellent little fish!

Also, hold off on getting any more additions to the tank until the cycle is complete - the bacteria has not built up enough to accommodate the additional waste produced by new fish or inverts yet.

Keep doing the partial water changes and you will get there - :D

Oh, another thing - leave your filter media alone if possible while cycling. It, like the gravel, needs to be left alone while cycling so the bacteria is not disturbed. Once the cycle is over, then you just rinse out the floss and put it back in the filter until it won't hold together any more, like Endgame mentioned, and carbon is really not necessary.

Back
Top Bottom