Newbe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

3guppies

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone, I am starting a aquarium set up for my 2 boys. They bought a 5 gal starter kit (they are 2&6) from Walmart last nite. I have it runing with no fish now just some decorations. So now I have a couple of quest. First one is, there are bubbles on the inside of tank. Is that ok? If not how do I get rid of them?? Second is freshwater/coldwater the same?? If not then what is the diff. Third, what kind of fish can we pick out for our setup?? Something other then goldfish. Or should I just go to tropical fish. Any help/input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Oh one other thing, the instructions in the kit said wait 24hrs before adding fish....is that pretty much correct? 24hrs to 2 excited kids is like weeks to them....:crazyeyes:

The bubbles occur everytime you setup a tank, eventuallu, they will go away

Freshwater and coldwater can be the same, but tropical (warm water) and temperate (known as cold water) are different.

You could add a single male or female betta in there, they have lots of personality and have pretty fins. There not many fish you can put in a 5 gallon.

The 24 hour thing before adding fish is false. Fish need a fully cycled tank before putting in the tank. Look up the aquarium nitrogen cycle.

The bubbles are condensation from when you added the water, a clean soft cloth will wipe those away.

I got the same exact set up from walmart, and to open up your options as far as far as stocking goes you need a small heater, mine was about 20$. But they have very cool looking bettas, basically everywhere but Wally world. Or you could do minnows without a heater, white clouds are nice. If you got the heater, male guppies come in every color and are fun fish. You could even do some snails. But buy a kit and watch it closely, my fish were happy campers for a month and one died, so I had to move them because small tanks are hard, especially with a death.

Good luck!!

Ok, I dont think Bettas will work for the kids....they were likeingthe Tetras at the pet store. Will Tetras not work cause its a small tank?? I can get the heater so we can get some cooler fish....I am wanting a biggertank...but figure we would start with this one first. Also what kind kits are you talking about??

Tetras like to be in schools of at least 4 or more. Yes your tank is way too small for them. As well the (from what I understood from your previous post) your water is not heated? They like a temp of 72. You'd also have to cycle your tank before adding any fish or they will die. I know this from experience! I bought a similar tank years ago and did do my homework. It really is easier to maintain a bigger tank, maybe try a 20 gallon?

I sure wish I woulda found this site first before I let the kids spend their money on the 5gal. tank.
I figured we could always add the heater if we needed it for the fish we purchased, but from what it sounds like we have slim pickings for fish. Also what do you mean by let our tank cycle before we add any fish??

Go to the top of this forum, and read the thread called "Fishless cycling for dummies" here you will learn the Nitrogen cycle and what we mean for a full cycled tank.

I also made same mistakes as you, and because we did not cycled our tank, my boy called his tank Pet Cementary. Sounds funny but it was true and a bad experience, after we did the fishless cycle, and now we have been successful keeping our fish and happy.

so I recommend you to read the thread, get a ton of patience, it will pay back for you.

The most recommended is the API master kit, it has everything to test your ammonia, pH, nitrites, & nitrates. The fishless cycling page will help you understand that better. The dimensions on this tank really aren't bad I wanna say 16x10x10. That may help people suggest other fish, it's only a little bit shorter than a 10.

I sure wish I woulda found this site first before I let the kids spend their money on the 5gal. tank.
I figured we could always add the heater if we needed it for the fish we purchased, but from what it sounds like we have slim pickings for fish. Also what do you mean by let our tank cycle before we add any fish??

Basically cycling your tank is "getting the water right" (so the Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite and PH). Your making sure theres "good" bacteria in your filter to keep your levels where they need to be. Like the previous person posted you should read the thread on Cycling for Dummies. It does take a long time (my last tank took 8 weeks to fully cycle) I made the same mistake as you (they should really tell you this at the pet store eh!!!) I bought a small tank for my kids and new nothing about fish. After like 5 fish died I figured I should do some research...yea it's a little more complicated than just filling a tank with water and adding fish ;) The only fish you can put in that tank (without cycling I think) is a Beta fish. All other fish really do need more space to swim and have to have the water right. It really does take patience but once you have a cycled tank, it's not that much maintenance and if you get a bigger tank you can have the Tetra's your kids like :D

The only fish you can put in that tank (without cycling I think) is a Beta fish. All other fish really do need more space to swim and have to have the water right.

That is simply not true. Bettas need their tank cycled just as much as any other fish. Yes, they're more likely to survive but they will suffer all the same.

Also, having tetras in a 5g is a matter of opinion. A few people on here do keep neon tetras in 5 gallon tanks, but you will need a heater. 72* was mentioned, but thats a little low IMO. But that is the only tetra I can suggest to you IMPO, and it needs to be a small school.

Well there you go :). Ultimately you need to do the research!

Back
Top Bottom