Newbee with a 10 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gow524

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am new bee with a 10 gallon tank, in need of answer, and hoping that you guys could help. What's in the 10 gallon tank? 2 gold fishes out of 8. Why? not sure, if its the water, or chemicals in the water (tap). Also, what is that stuff that forms above the gravel, looks like fog, or white slime, thick enough.

thanks

:confused:

Hello gow524,
Sorry but did you have 8 goldfish in a 10 gallon tank ?
If that's the case a single goldfish needs more than 10 gallons to itself.

Moved to FW getting started.

Ideally don't understand what you asking. Can you clarify your question?

From what I can understand though you have gold fish in a 10 gal tank. That is not an appropriate sized tank to house goldfish.

Fancy goldfish or common goldfish?

One fancy goldfish (the type with the flowing fins) needs 30 gals. Each additional fancy needs atleast 10 gals. So 10 fancy goldfish would need minimum 120 gallon tank.

Common goldfish..well I can't even calculate what size tank they would need, it would be ridiculous. They are pond fish, and really aren't suitable for tanks. I know just a pair needs over 100 gals.

The problems you are experiencing with your water quality are most likely due to the tremendous waste these fish produce..one of the reasons they aren't suitable for such a small tank.

May I suggest you re-home your remaining fish, by taking them into a local store that sells fish (if you do not know anyone who has a large coldwater tank to put them in), and start over from scratch with fish that are suitable for a 10 gal tank.

We'd love to help you in any way we can. Welcome to AA :)

It's sounds like the fish are lacking oxygen and the tank is collecting to much waste such as poo.

I would suggest u buy a bigger tank or build a small 100/200 gallons pond either way u must use an air filter plus air stone and less food.

Good luck.

Sorry about the confusion, I only have two small gold fish left in a 10 gallon tank (6 died). I am looking into getting a bigger tank down the line.

Well that is if they are fancy's. If they are common's, they would need 125 gallons.

Back
Top Bottom