newbie 20g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sberk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am fairly new to having an aquarium. I had fish growing up but this will be my first tank in about 10 years.

I am getting a 20g tank and am trying to decide what to stock it with.

Here is what I am thinking:

1 Bristlenose pleco
1 Blue ram
possibly one angelfish
3-5 tiger barbs or neon tetras

I am also wanting to add a figure 8 puffer about a month after the initial fish. I am hoping this might curb it's hostility towards the others.

Any thought's or other stocking ideas are welcome.

Don't forget to cycle! :)

I'm not sure how an angel would do in a 20g. IIRC they prefer bigger tanks.

Is it a 20 long or high? (Long is probably a better choice.)

I am not sure if it is long or tall. I am getting one for free from my parents who have 2 20g. I may even have a choice between long or tall.

Would a female betta do ok instead of an angel?

Be sure to cycle before adding fish. There's a page on here somewhere called Fishless Cycling. It's definitely worth the time and effort.

I modified your stock list a little. Here's what I'd go with to start. You should be able to add more fish after the tank is established.

1 Bristlenose pleco
1 Blue ram
1 Female betta
5 neon tetras - barbs like to nip fins

Thanks!

Any input on the F8 puffer?

Any other suggestions on schooling fish other than neons?

I would really like a "showcase" fish which is why I was looking at the F8. Do you think a dwarf puffer or 2 would be ok or should I avoid puffers altogether?

Any suggestions on a different "showcase" fish?

Avoid puffers all together. They're mainly brackish water fish and they have bad attitudes.

If you're looking for a showcase fish, switch the female betta out for a male and get a crowntail. Male bettas do fine in a community tank as long as they're the only male betta and there aren't other fish with long, flowing fins, like male guppies.

Ok so here's my new plan:
1 Bristlenose pleco
1 Male Betta
1 Blue Ram
1 Kuhli Loach
6 Neon tetras

Thoughts?

Thanks for all of the input.

+1 on more khulis. You should have plenty of room in the tank for more and they don't hide as much if there's a group.

Also, any thoughts on getting Dwarf puffers instead of the betta/kuhli?

Ok, so...
No puffers and I'm not getting kuhlis anymore.
Would a rainbow shark or red tail shark be ok?

Here is some info on those fish for you:

Red Tailed Black Shark, Epalzeorhynchos bicolor aquarium tropical fish from Tropical Fish and Aquariums

Rainbow Shark, Epalzeorhynchos frenatum aquarium tropical fish from Tropical Fish and Aquariums

The red tail and rainbow shark are not compatible with eachother, but the red tail is fine by itself, alone, with no other red tailed sharks, and the same goes for the rainbow.

Red tail compatibility:
Tropical Fish and Aquariums Compatibility by Name

Rainbow compatability:
Tropical Fish and Aquariums Compatibility by Name

The rainbow shark needs 55+ gallons, but the red tail can be kept in your tank.

Good luck!

Here is my revised stocking idea for my 20g tall:

1 Red Tail Shark
1 Bristlenose Pleco
1 Blue Ram
5-6 Cardinal or Neon Tetras

Thoughts? Advice?

Back
Top Bottom