Newbie :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mskay

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello I just set up my 33 gallon tank about a month ago. So far so good. I joined this forum because I am new to aquariums and I'm sure I'll have lots of question. To start with I have a marineland 200 filter that came with a carbon filter but I'm reading sponge is better and carbon is unnecessary. Can I put a sponge filter in this filter or do I need to replace the whole filter?

I have the sane exact filter ! I got a fluval sponge and cut to fit filter mesh/floss, I tore apart the marine filter and used the plastic with the cut to fit, than stuck the sponge in there too!

I have the sane exact filter ! I got a fluval sponge and cut to fit filter mesh/floss, I tore apart the marine filter and used the plastic with the cut to fit, than stuck the sponge in there too!

I do that with all my filters and I use the fluval bio media for the biological surface

That's awesome I was gonna have to buy I whole new filter. Good to know thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
What I did was cut open the filter cartridges and dump out all the carbon it is useless but I kept the filter floss stuff. Then do what everyone has said just by sponges and cut them up and put them in and you are good to go:)! After your cycles done what type of stock do you want just wondering!

Platys mollies guppies and some frogs. And a pleco. Is the carbon bad that you would dump it out?

Platys mollies guppies and some frogs. And a pleco. Is the carbon bad that you would dump it out?

No it just doesn't last but a few weeks and then its useless and carbon is mainly used to remove chemicals in your water

Ok. Since I've set up my tank I've been googling a lot and I feel like everything the pet store told me is crap lol any good websites?

I dunno lol I've never had a fish tank before

I have a marineland 200 filter a 150 watt heater and a bubbler thing

I have a marineland 200 filter a 150 watt heater and a bubbler thing

Okay the most important thing your gonna need is an API master test kit. Most all fish places sell them or they are available online. Read those articles and you will be ready to start. Also make sure you get a good water conditioner

Back
Top Bottom