The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Til

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,
I have a 110 liter tank which we set up about a week ago. Now we want to do our first water change. I have added the Tetra AquaSafe to my water and am leaving it over night with a heater and airstone in. Do I add the Tetra EasyBalance to the water before putting it in the tank or after?

If there aren't any fish that require a certain pH, there isn't any reason to use that in a cycling tank. I wouldn't tinker with it at all, really. It makes for more work and it'll get to feel like a losing battle.

Aqua safe treated water is ok to use right away, there isn't a waiting period for it to start working. I appreciate that you're thinking ahead and doing what seems best! Take a look at the sticky post in the getting started thread and read up on fishless or fish in cycling. Completely demystifies the whole process :)

There are currently 6 mixed Malawi's in there. The guy said between 6 and 9 and when I tested the water on the 2nd Jan it was 7.5ph.
Will test again tonight after I add the new water.

Thanks for advice

All advice is welcome :)

110 liters is way small for Malawi cichlids. When they grow up they're going to kill each other.

Instead of easy balance you should use crushed coral to bring your ph and hardness up, as Malawi cichlids like high pH.

110 liters is way small for Malawi cichlids. When they grow up they're going to kill each other.

Instead of easy balance you should use crushed coral to bring your ph and hardness up, as Malawi cichlids like high pH.
We do have a 308 Liter that we are busy getting ready and once that is up and going we will be moving them over there. Are there any fish that we would be able to put with them or should we stick to Cichlids?

I was going to ask I read somewhere I need to add aquarium salt. Is this true and how much?

I would stick with just malawi cichlids specifically. They are very aggressive and territorial.

No, aquarium salt is snake oil. It's questionably beneficial (possibly harmful) except as a treatment for certain diseases or as a prophylactic in quarantine. But aquarium salt is just sodium chloride. You can buy canning and pickling salt for a fraction of the cost and it's the same thing.

so I don't need to add it at all?

After using the AquaSafe the water still remains a bit blue is this okay?

Thank you.

another question sorry.:ermm:

How many Cichilds will be okay in the 308L tank? or is the 6 we have going to be enough?

Will try post pictures so someone can maybe help identify them. :)

Thank you.

another question sorry.:ermm:

How many Cichilds will be okay in the 308L tank? or is the 6 we have going to be enough?

Will try post pictures so someone can maybe help identify them. :)

It depends on what kind. I would post pictures and try to ID what you already have and go from there. I'm not the best with malawi cichlids.

So I added my treated water last night around 7pm and I have not tested it at 5pm today. So almost 24h later. According to the tetra app the carbonate hardness is too high. It says it is supposed to be between 3 and 10.

Is this something I should worry about? If yes how do I lower it?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1452179082114.jpg
    1452179082114.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 35
Great. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Please help Identify

HI,

please can you help identify who is what :)

Attachments

• f1.jpg
    f1.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 34
  • f2.jpg
    f2.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 34
  • f3.jpg
    f3.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 33
  • f4.jpg
    f4.jpg