Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-18-2019, 12:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Newbie and New Tank

Hello, I just received a 15 gal. Aqueon column starter tank for father's day. The tank measures 13" x 13" x 19". Up until today my research has always taken me to the 1 inch rule of thumb and I was happy with that and planned my tank around that. However, today I came across an article that states a different rule of thumb for a column tank which completely obliterates my hopes, dreams and my plans. This new rule of thumb says I can have a 1 inch fish in my tank. Is this real. My original plan was to have 4 to 6 dwarf cory cats, 4 to 6 Ember Tetras, 4 to 6 Neon Tetras and one betta or dwarf Gourami. Not to mention live plants. I understand you add a few fish at a time and test to make sure you can still have a stable system. Could use some advice here.

Old 06-18-2019, 03:18 PM   #2
Ichthyophile

I think 6 cats and 6 ember tetras would be fine, but no more. The problem is the surface area of the tank. If you can agitate the surface to bring it more oxygen, you can maybe have more fish. But 12-15 small fish would be about max

Old 06-18-2019, 07:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlederer View Post
I think 6 cats and 6 ember tetras would be fine, but no more. The problem is the surface area of the tank. If you can agitate the surface to bring it more oxygen, you can maybe have more fish. But 12-15 small fish would be about max
The tank came with a filter that sits on the back rim of the tank and I purchased a bio-sponge bottom filter. Do bubblers make a significant difference?
Old 06-18-2019, 08:35 PM   #4
Ichthyophile

Anything that disturbs the surface of the water will help
Old 06-18-2019, 08:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Skip the corydoras, they need length not depth. You should get some taller plants like swords. Embers or even neons would work.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:26 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with Sara. Cory's are very active and 13 inches is really cramped. IMO, that tank is only good for 1-2 inch schooling fish. Or a Betta.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:57 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks to all for the advice

I have found another fish that sparks my fancy, Chili Rasbora. Anyone familiar with these little creatures? I think I have changed my plans and want to go with more plants and the small .5 to 1 inch fish. I am liking the idea of a microsystem. Will Rasboras be good tank mates for tetras? Yes, I know I am a pest but trying to get info on the net is about as easy as getting info from PetSmart, Petco and various other pet shops near by who mostly want to sell you fish. One last question and I will cease for a while. Why couldn't one introduce more oxygen in the same manner as one introduces CO2? oops, I lied, just remembered, I was told that I could increase the efficiency of my filter by removing the carbon/filter cartridge and use a filter sponge large enough to fill the whole compartment. This of course would eliminate the carbon. I thought carbon filters were a necessity, yes/no?
Old 06-21-2019, 08:21 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Carbon helps but isn't absolutely necessary. A sponge will work fine.
Chili rasboras are adorable. They should get along well with the smaller tetras. Just make sure you buy food that is small enough for them to be able to eat. You can crush flakes or if you can find them you can use micro pellets.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:16 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hello Tom...

I think that rule may have applied to a water keeper that wasn't very good about monitoring the tank water. In other words "A Water Change Slacker". I'm sure your plan isn't to be one of those. You have plans for some small fish and that's fine. I would set up the tank with the heater, filter and all and add some floating plants like Hornwort or Water sprite and then allow the tank to run full of treated tap water with no fish in it for a week or so. Then, get back with us.

B
Old 06-21-2019, 02:54 PM   #10
Grand Poobah of Fish Poo

Welcome to the hobby!

Chilli Rasboras or Kubotai Rasboras would be a very nice choice. If you want catfish, you might want to consider dwarf species, such as corydoras habrosus. I think you could keep a small shoal of them and one of the other species you were considering just fine. Just remember, patience is the aquarist's best friend.

Tags
new tank, newb, newbie, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com