Newbie and New Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thomas68

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I just received a 15 gal. Aqueon column starter tank for father's day. The tank measures 13" x 13" x 19". Up until today my research has always taken me to the 1 inch rule of thumb and I was happy with that and planned my tank around that. However, today I came across an article that states a different rule of thumb for a column tank which completely obliterates my hopes, dreams and my plans. This new rule of thumb says I can have a 1 inch fish in my tank. Is this real. My original plan was to have 4 to 6 dwarf cory cats, 4 to 6 Ember Tetras, 4 to 6 Neon Tetras and one betta or dwarf Gourami. Not to mention live plants. I understand you add a few fish at a time and test to make sure you can still have a stable system. Could use some advice here.

I think 6 cats and 6 ember tetras would be fine, but no more. The problem is the surface area of the tank. If you can agitate the surface to bring it more oxygen, you can maybe have more fish. But 12-15 small fish would be about max

Thank you

I think 6 cats and 6 ember tetras would be fine, but no more. The problem is the surface area of the tank. If you can agitate the surface to bring it more oxygen, you can maybe have more fish. But 12-15 small fish would be about max

The tank came with a filter that sits on the back rim of the tank and I purchased a bio-sponge bottom filter. Do bubblers make a significant difference?:thanks:

Skip the corydoras, they need length not depth. You should get some taller plants like swords. Embers or even neons would work.

I agree with Sara. Cory's are very active and 13 inches is really cramped. IMO, that tank is only good for 1-2 inch schooling fish. Or a Betta.

Thanks to all for the advice

I have found another fish that sparks my fancy, Chili Rasbora. Anyone familiar with these little creatures? I think I have changed my plans and want to go with more plants and the small .5 to 1 inch fish. I am liking the idea of a microsystem. Will Rasboras be good tank mates for tetras? Yes, I know I am a pest but trying to get info on the net is about as easy as getting info from PetSmart, Petco and various other pet shops near by who mostly want to sell you fish. One last question and I will cease for a while. Why couldn't one introduce more oxygen in the same manner as one introduces CO2? oops, I lied, just remembered, I was told that I could increase the efficiency of my filter by removing the carbon/filter cartridge and use a filter sponge large enough to fill the whole compartment. This of course would eliminate the carbon. I thought carbon filters were a necessity, yes/no?

Carbon helps but isn't absolutely necessary. A sponge will work fine.
Chili rasboras are adorable. They should get along well with the smaller tetras. Just make sure you buy food that is small enough for them to be able to eat. You can crush flakes or if you can find them you can use micro pellets.

Hello Tom...

I think that rule may have applied to a water keeper that wasn't very good about monitoring the tank water. In other words "A Water Change Slacker". I'm sure your plan isn't to be one of those. You have plans for some small fish and that's fine. I would set up the tank with the heater, filter and all and add some floating plants like Hornwort or Water sprite and then allow the tank to run full of treated tap water with no fish in it for a week or so. Then, get back with us.

B

Welcome to the hobby! :welcome:

Chilli Rasboras or Kubotai Rasboras would be a very nice choice. If you want catfish, you might want to consider dwarf species, such as corydoras habrosus. I think you could keep a small shoal of them and one of the other species you were considering just fine. Just remember, patience is the aquarist's best friend.

Thank You

A lot of help is offered with this group, glad I joined.
Thank you all very much and may God Bless All:fish2:

Otocinclus would be a good little group of cats to keep.

As far as carbon goes it isn't a necessity but I don't see a downside of using it either. It polishes the water to an extent and removes toxins. Unless someone knows something I don't and can offer how carbon is detrimental to fish I wouldn't worry about it to much.

Thanks to All

You all have given me a lot of info to digest which is great. Now it is time to start using it. Some of my investigations have shown me a 'dry cycle' which i am starting now. I have a layer of fine volcanic gravel on the bottom with a layer of natural small river rock on top. I planted some glossostigma salastigasis seed, which by the way i have a whole lot of seed left if anyone wants some. About 1 to 2 weeks after it has sprouted i will start adding water and atleast 2 more plants and let it cycle for 1 week and add 2 more plant and hopfully some glass mushroom decorations. Then i plan on a 1 to 2 week cycle before adding the first fish. After all that i plan on adding fish about every 1 to 2 weeks until i have all the fish i can safely have. That was an odd sentence. This should give me enough time decide which fish i will place in the tank. My problem is i like them all and would probably need a 50 gallon tank for them. Oh well, atleast i will have company in my glass work room. One last uestion for now. I came across some info on shrimp and it stated i need 25 shrimp per 5 gallons of water and that shrimp don't put much of a bio burden on the tank. Is this real?

:thanks:

You can add plants right away in a tank that isn't cycled.

Are you doing a fish in cycle or are you using bottled ammonia to cycle the tank......or another means?

I wouldn't start out with that many shrimp. They will multiply quite a bit. Start with a low number and let them breed up.

Ok. Just make sure you keep your ammonia at .25 ppm or less. Shrimp can be sensitive to ammonia.

Back
Top Bottom