Newbie and new tank cluster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Paragaurd works well. Get that and dose the tank as instructed. Get the bigger bottle if possible. Remove any carbon or carbon pads in your filters. It will remove the meds in the tank.

Do 25% daily water changes with a light gravel vac of the surface of your substrate. After the water change and vac dose the tank with Paragaurd.

Will do King Fisher! Thank you!
I thought things were getting better. I have been doing daily 30% water changes with dechlorinated water but last night my largest Goldie started thrashing around and bumping his head very hard into the top of the tank and then laid back down on the floor. I looked closely and he has some red veins in his tail. I hope this is just from the probable ammonia poisoning or the ich and nothing more severe. It really freaked me out. I also purchased a bottle of Seachem Prime to start using today instead of the API tap water conditioner. I read that will detoxify the water better than just that api stuff. Would be good to know your thoughts on this. Thanks in advance for the advice!!!

Also, the pH is still hanging around 7.8. Seems to be high, but is that high enough to cause severe damage to fish? If so should I add some pH lowering chemical? Or is it part of the tank trying to cycle?

Could be ammonia causing it or it's the beginning of bacterial fin rot. Just stick to the Paragaurd and daily water changes. Paragaurd is also a bacterial med in case he is getting bacterial fin rot.

Don't mess with the pH. Fish adapt to pH. Goldfish need a higher pH or alkaline water. 7.8 is perfectly fine.

I only use Seachem Prime so can't go wrong with it.

Good deal! Thanks for the info...I feel reassured. Hoping my guy gets on the road to recovery.
Also, this may be a silly question, but do you need to stir the Paraguard in? Feel like I shouldn’t be just pouring it in the tank

Can I just remove my filters all together since they have that carbon cartridge on the back? I have Emperor 400 biowheel. I can’t see how to remove. And since I’m doing PWC everyday I thought maybe I could take filters out

Yes you can add Paragaurd directly to the tank.

Keep the filters on if possible to keep water flow/surface agitation. This creates oxygen in the water and is needed by the fish.

Try to remove the filter media. There should be an opening at the top of your filter near the back where the filter media is located. If it has carbon inside the filters then it needs to be removed. They should pull right out by pulling up on it.

Ok. I did my PWC, vacuumed the substrate, added prime to the new water, took filter media out, and dosed the tank with Paraguard. Watching to see how everyone does. 3 of my small guys are just hanging below water surface. Wondering how long before they start feeling better. I’ll update tomorrow ��

Goldies doing way better now! The directions on the bottle don’t specify how long to use Paraguard, but I read up online and some say to use for 2-3 weeks. Was thinking 3 weeks to make sure all ich is gone. Anyone have thoughts?

I don't see a problem with 3 weeks. After that stop dosing for a week then start again if need be. The idea is to give their organs a break from the meds. Stop a couple days after ich is gone from the fish.

Back
Top Bottom