Newbie and new tank cluster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vestigialwing

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am BRAND NEW to aquariums. My kids got some goldfish from a carnival (surprise Mom!!) and I wanted to do my best for these little guys even tho I was irritated that fish were being given out as prizes. A friend of ours had a 75 gallon tank he wanted to get rid of so he and my husband emptied it out and brought it to our house. They filled it up with water and I dechloronated and in go the fish. They were doing AWESOME until just a few days ago (it’s been 13 days). They were swimming around happy and interactive and now they’re kind of floating at the top of the tank in the corner staring off into space and possibly even staring death in the face ? I’ve changed the water weekly (30%) and all water parameters are coming out in the “safe zone” for Goldies. What can I do? What am I doing wrong? I hope someone can help!

I don’t see that on the testing kit that I purchased. Dang! I will drop by store on my way home from work and report back. I don’t even know what I don’t know so I’m literally clueless here

Anything else I should get while I’m at the store? I have thermometer, and those other tests. Anything I need to have in general?

Did you use the test strips or liquid? Test strips are notoriously inaccurate. Get the liquid test for ammonia. I suspect that might be the problem.

Ok I looked up symptoms and that sounds like what’s going on. Ugh! I feel so bad. I’ll get better testers.

I don't know what else you should get. For two goldfish in a 75 gallon tank, it's rather odd that there should be problems. They are not overcrowding the tank and you have been changing the water. You have a filter and the top of the water is agitated a bit, I presume? Let me know how the ammonia test comes out.

I even went to a “mom and pop” shop to get stuff and I feel like they did nothing to help me.

Yes filter, air pump decoration thingy, have changed water twice. There are 5 fish in there. 4 small guys and one kinda big guy but I thought they’d have plenty of room in 75 gal

And now I’m seeing tiny white specks (like salt) on the black moor. They’re all moving around now but hanging out at the top more

Change 30 percent of the water every day to lower ammonia levels until the tank cycles- a month or so. Vacuum the bottom for detritus and uneaten food. Ammonia a bit on the high side.
If the white spots are inch, there is medication for that. Vacuuming bottom also helps with an Ich infestation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok great thank you. When I do water change should I just put dechlorinator in there or do I need to add anything else like aquarium salt?

Also, how often should I feed them? Once a day? And does that continue after the tank fully cycles?

If needed, dechlorinate the water before you add it to the tank. Aquarium salt is not needed. Feed them as much as they will eat in 5-10 minutes. That can be once, twice, or three times a day. The only caution is not to overfeed so that food goes to waste in the tank.

Thank you so much rlederer and Autumnsky!
The fish already seem to be doing a bit better, but now to conquer this ich business. I was thinking of getting Seachem Paraguard. Is that a good product?

Back
Top Bottom