Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-26-2013, 09:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Newbie - another am I cycled thread...

Just wanted to make sure I have finished the fish-less cycle before I start stocking tomorrow.

I have gone 4 days in a row of dosing ammonia to 4PPM and having the ammonia & nitrite readings be 0PPM after 24 hours. Nitrates have grown during those 4 days and are currently at 80PPM. I'm about to do a massive 85% -90% water change.

Does it seem as though I'm cycled? Also, after my water change should I add more ammonia tonight if I am going to add fish tomorrow? Ammonia was last added 24 hours ago (dosed to 4PPM).

Thanks in advance for all your help (again), you all have been very helpful!

Old 01-26-2013, 09:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like it to me. Your BB should be fine until you get fish tomorrow. Congrats on completing cycling!

Old 01-26-2013, 10:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like it, how long have the nitrates been this high?
Old 01-26-2013, 10:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishanatic View Post
Sounds like it, how long have the nitrates been this high?
Looking back at my log, the last water change (85%) was done 4 days ago. After the water change, all levels (Ammonia, Nitrites, & Nitrates) were back down to 0PPM.

I dosed to 4PPM of ammonia every day since the water change, and within 24 hours ammonia and nitrites were at 0PPM. Each day, the nitrates grew a little bit. On day one after the water change nitrates were 5PPM, day 2 they were 20PPM, day three they were 40PPM, and today they were 80PPM.

Cycle was started about a month ago. It took 7 days for nitrites to show up, and 2 weeks for nitrates to show up. The last 2 weeks, nitrites have been dropping. I have seen no nitrites in 5 days of testing with my API Master Test Kit.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yep. Its done. Congrats!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
molliwopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:55 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yup, I'd say your good to go!
Old 01-27-2013, 09:57 AM   #7

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Time to get stocking...
Old 01-27-2013, 09:58 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by panathinaikos55 View Post
Thanks for all the help everyone!

Time to get stocking...
What fish are you getting?
Old 01-27-2013, 10:55 AM   #9
Look It Up

Sounds like you're good to go. No need to dose ammonia again if you're getting fish tomorrow; the bacteria can handle not being fed for a day and then you'll have the problem of high nitrates again when the ammonia is converted. Just do the water change(s) to get the nitrates as low as you can and turn down the temp if you've had it raised for the cycle. You might want to do a YouTube Search for "drip acclimation fish" as it's one of the best ways to introduce fish into a new tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishanatic View Post
What fish are you getting?
That's my question, too
librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:38 AM   #10

Got all the water parameters down to 0PPM after the water change (did about 90%). pH is steady at 8, as it has been for the last few weeks. Heater was turned down to 78 after water change last night.

Tank is a 60g. I was planning on a school of Barbs (5 banded), small school of Platys, an Angel fish, and a Pleco (gold nugget) to start. Sound like a good start?

When tank is more established I wanted to add a GBR, 3 Apistos, and a rainbow shark.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:25 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Got all the water parameters down to 0PPM after the water change (did about 90%). pH is steady at 8, as it has been for the last few weeks. Heater was turned down to 78 after water change last night.

Tank is a 60g. I was planning on a school of Barbs (5 banded), small school of Platys, an Angel fish, and a Pleco (gold nugget) to start. Sound like a good start?

When tank is more established I wanted to add a GBR, 3 Apistos, and a rainbow shark.
Just as an option, I dont know how 5 banded barbs are temperament wise, like if their attitude or nipping is like a tiger barb, but if they happen to not work out for you, check out black ruby barbs. I just got some and I absolutely LOVE them! They are super active but don't have the attitude or nip like tiger barbs do. Ive actually ordered another school of 6 of them for my 55g! With platies just beware if you get females that you could be over run with babies. If you don't want babies I would try and get all males if possible. Also back to the barbs, you will need to get atleast 6 of them.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:01 PM   #12

My how plans change...

So after all the research I did in choosing stock, I got exactly 0 of the fish I was planning to get!

I ended up with a school of 6 Coral Red Platys, 1 Paradise Gourami, 1 Platinum Angelfish, & 1 Koi Longveiled Angelfish.

I'll go back next week to pick up a small school of Rhombo Barbs, 1 Gold Nugget Pleco, & 1 King Tiger Pleco when the lfs has them in stock.

That should hold me over for a month or so.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:57 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
My how plans change...

So after all the research I did in choosing stock, I got exactly 0 of the fish I was planning to get!

I ended up with a school of 6 Coral Red Platys, 1 Paradise Gourami, 1 Platinum Angelfish, & 1 Koi Longveiled Angelfish.

I'll go back next week to pick up a small school of Rhombo Barbs, 1 Gold Nugget Pleco, & 1 King Tiger Pleco when the lfs has them in stock.

That should hold me over for a month or so.
That's usually how it goes! You have stock all planned out and end up with something completely different. I never thought I would end up with rainbow fish, but I did!

Tags
cycle, cycled, led, newbie

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com