Newbie: cycling and few other questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MichelleBeth

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys, I have some questions about cycling and other stuff.

I recently bought a used 30 gallon tank that came complete with decorations, a water heater, a filter, etc etc. Now after setting it up and filling it up, I discovered that you should do a fishless cycle. I've never done this before, but I did read the sticky guide. I had a couple questions still though.

The guide says to add a small amount of ammonia, and I'm not sure what's considered a 'small amount'. Is a tablespoon a small amount for 30 gallons, or is that a hue amount? :blink:

One other question I have about cycling has to do with used items. If I bought everything used, is there a chance that the good bacteria is still alive on the filter pad and decorations, or is it long dead since the tank and everything else was dry for a year at least?

Also, I cranked up my water heater to 88 degrees, but the water temp has been stuck at around 75 degrees for the past couple days... do you think I need to get a new heater, or is it just taking a while to heat up 30 gallons of water?

I'm pretty overwhelmed with all the options out there for what fish to get, and all the water conditions they require.. but I think I'll stick to just seeing if I can get the tank to cycle first..

Thanks for any help!

There is a calculator somewhere that estimates how much ammonia-hopefully someone here will post the link (I lost the link)

The bacteria on the used items would be long dead unfortunately; they can't survive dry conditions

How many watts is your heater? My guess is it isn't a high enough wattage to raise the temp in a 30 gallon farther than that

You want to dose till you hit 4ppm ammonia. So throw in a teaspoon, let is sit for 10 minutes, and use api fw test kit where you sitting @ if not @4 dose a lil more, if over 4 take out some water and replace with fresh water.

Try to get a dropper that mas ml. measurements on it. Start with small increments. Make sure you use pure ammonia!! If you shake the jug and it has bubbles or soapy look its no good. Look online for a msds sheet on the name brand ammonia it will tell you how much of ammonia is actually in it. Then you can use the calculator phin was talking about. mine was like 3% ammo so it took 7ml to equal 1ppm in my 36 gal.

Thanks so much guys! I'm not sure what wattage my heater is.. the name has rubbed off and I can't see any markings... but I'm glad to know it's probably just the power not being sufficient to heat 30 gallons to 88 degrees, and not the heater itself malfunctioning.

I'll try the dropper idea for the ammonia, and thanks for the reminder to just use the pure stuff. I still need to get my api freshwater test kit, and right now the tank has been sitting as a decoration for a few days.. lol

You want to dose till you hit 4ppm ammonia. So throw in a teaspoon, let is sit for 10 minutes, and use api fw test kit where you sitting @ if not @4 dose a lil more, if over 4 take out some water and replace with fresh water.

No please dont do it this way. There is a calculator that I just posted

I haven't looked at the ammo chart yet, but just so you have some idea, I just began cycling my 30 gal yesterday and I added about 1/2 a capful of ammo and it brought me right about to 4 ppm. I'm watching and testing every day, but still at about 4ppm, maybe a bit less. Good Luck!

Omg no it wont. I just finished my fishless cycle. Not a drop of prime.

You may not have chlorine in your water but most people who have city water do and yes, chlorine does kill bacteria...that's exactly why it's there. This is a quote from Eco23's guide to fishless cycling... "B) Add your dechlorinator to remove any chlorine / chloramines / heavy metals in your tap water. Chlorine is made to kill bacteria… bacteria is what you’re trying to grow. These 2 things don’t mix."

You may not have chlorine in your water but most people who have city water do and yes, chlorine does kill bacteria...that's exactly why it's there. This is a quote from Eco23's guide to fishless cycling... "B) Add your dechlorinator to remove any chlorine / chloramines / heavy metals in your tap water. Chlorine is made to kill bacteria… bacteria is what you’re trying to grow. These 2 things don’t mix."

I have heavy chlorine. I live near mexico in a city where all of our water is contaminated. I didnt add a drop of prime and my tank is cycled

OK children, no need to bicker. If you'd ask me whether or not to add dechlorinator, I would say yes. But to each his own.

I have heavy chlorine. I live near mexico in a city where all of our water is contaminated. I didnt add a drop of prime and my tank is cycled

Do you age your water over night or do you put it in straight from the tap? Chlorine will actually evaporate if left overnight in a bucket but thats after time and chlorine isnt the only thing a dechlorinator needs to neutralise.

Many areas use chloramine in the water supply rather than chlorine. Chloramine does not evaporate so a water conditioner is necessary for folks that have chloramine. I'd use one regardless, as it is much easier for me to do that then it would be to age my water.

For fishless cycling, it really isn't necessary to dose up to 4 ppm. That's an arbitrary value that just gets passed around as fact. If you want to dump a huge fish load in a tank right after it finishes cycling, then it makes sense... But I prefer a more cautious approach to stocking a newly cycled tank.

Back
Top Bottom