newbie cycling question (help!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

diogenes

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I setup my 37g tank a week ago. I used super-bac in an effort to kick start the cycle. So far Ive had no luck. Ammonia levels have been ranging from about .5 to about 3.0. I have no nitrates. My ph is slightly alkaline (like 7.5-7.8 ) according to some tests, and 7.0-7.1 according to others. My local fish guy said to give it about 30 days and not to do any water changes. I've got 3 swordtails in there now. I've also got a bio-wheel filter. I've also got about 40 pounds of gravel which someone told me could increase ammonia levels. I've been feeding twice a day but only as much as they can eat in < 5secs. I'm concerned about my ph (gonna be a NW cichlid tank) and my lack of nitrites... What do I do?

Since you're cycling with fish, it's going to take a while to get it all going. With the ammonia levels you're seeing, I don't think the super-bac stuff did anything for you.

With that low bioload (3 fish) it'll probably take a few more days before you start to see nitrItes.

I'd recommend tho, for the health of the fish, that you do a water change anytime the ammonia or nitrIte level gets above 0.5ppm. Otherwise, the fish may not survive. Water changes don't really affect the cycle, as the bacteria will collect on the surfaces in your tank(filter, gravel, decor, etc).

During your cycle, the pH readings can fluctuate like crazy, so I wouldn't trust or worry about them at least until your cycle completes.

My local fish guy said to give it about 30 days and not to do any water changes.

When I first started out, that's what my local fish guys said too. Thank goodness that I didn't listen to him or my fish would probably be dead! Since you have fish, you should do partial water changes if the ammonia or nitrites get to high like neilan said so as not to harm the fish. It will take longer to cycle, but at least your fish will survive. I have found that most local fish stores either don't know about fishless cycling or don't care if the fish you bought survive or die.

Things you can do to help the cycle along, besides the aforementioned water changes when needed:
1. Get used filter floss from an established tank. Maybe the fish guy will hook you up from a healthy, non-diseased tank.
2. Check the store to see if they have bio-spira. It is expensive, but if shipped properly, will reduce your cycle time to a few days.

Also, don't worry about the pH until after the tank cycles. You may not need to worry about it at all since most cichlids seem to do fine in a wide range of pH levels.

hey neilan. I noticed you're in NOVA. I'm in alexandria, do you have any recommendations on a local fish store?

Since you're cycling with fish, it's going to take a while to get it all going. With the ammonia levels you're seeing, I don't think the super-bac stuff did anything for you.

With that low bioload (3 fish) it'll probably take a few more days before you start to see nitrItes.

I'd recommend tho, for the health of the fish, that you do a water change anytime the ammonia or nitrIte level gets above 0.5ppm. Otherwise, the fish may not survive. Water changes don't really affect the cycle, as the bacteria will collect on the surfaces in your tank(filter, gravel, decor, etc).

During your cycle, the pH readings can fluctuate like crazy, so I wouldn't trust or worry about them at least until your cycle completes.

I'm concerned about my ph (gonna be a NW cichlid tank)
Don't be--A stable pH is better than a perfect pH. I can't tell what your true pH is. Ask the lfs (when you find one you like) what the pH of their tanks is--if they are not altering pH and have the same water source.

Back
Top Bottom