Newbie here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Archtrain

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Getting a new aquarium for Christmas and I am a bit outdated as far as setting it up. I'll start with the basics. It's a 60 gallon rectangular/high profile. It only comes with the tank ,stand, hood w light. I know I'll need other hardware,just not sure what exactly. I plan on doing a freshwater thing and it's been awhile since I had an aquarium. Last one I had was about 40 years ago and it was a 10 gallon starter, so obviously I've been out of the game for a bit. Heater(s),circulation pump? Filtration? Etc, and anything else I might have left out.... I'll need advice on all of the ecoutrements. Any advice most appreciated, thank you

Last edited:
Welcome :)

Times have changed and fancy equipment makes things much easier nowadays.

Not sure if you remember since them but cycling a tank is essential. you can choose to cycle with or without fish. I'm lazy and don't want to do water changes daily so I prefer to cycle without fish.

I run 2 filters on my tanks just in case 1 were to fail. Aquaclear is widely accepted on here as one of the best HOB filters on the market.

I prefer aquatop heaters myself. They are cheap and so far reliable for me. Not had one fail yet.

I'm biased to sand and plants :) I find it much more attractive than rainbow gravel. There is plenty of easy low light plants if you wanted to give them a shot. Anubias for one, it's near indestructible, if you killed it, something is really wrong with the tank haha.

Caleb

The only things you NEED are a filter (so that the ammonia produced by the fish can complete the nitrogen cycle) and a heater (to keep the tank water around 75º... and depending upon your climate and setup, you might not require a heater).

From there, you need to decide how you are going to cycle the tank. Are you going to do a fishless cycle or a fish-in cycle?

A fishless cycle is where you basically setup the tank filter and let it run as you dose the tank with pure ammonia (a brand with no added soap or scents) to simulate the waste produced by the fish.

A fish-in cycle is where you setup the tank and add some fish, but you have to do daily water changes to avoid ammonia levels from reaching toxic levels until the tank cycles.

(In case you don't know, 'cycling a tank' is the process of allowing a colony of bacteria to grow in your filter to convert toxic ammonia produced by the fish into fertilizer. This bacteria lives in the air, so you don't have to go out and obtain any of this bacteria. But the process of growing a colony in your filter can take upto 2 months).

Other things to consider (mainly from aesthetics) is what sort of substrait (rock, sand, dirt) and do you want an air bubbler. The purpose of the bubbler, besides making mesmerizing bubbles, is to break the surface tension of the water to allow oxygen to dissolve in the water for the fish to breath. If you have a filter that is already disturbing the water surface, you don't have to have a bubbler... but I think the bubbles are interesting enough to always include a bubbler.

The other thing to consider (as you decide on a substrait) is do you want to do live plants?

Any specific questions so far?

Back
Top Bottom