Newbie Mystery - please help, see pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishing4advice

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I set up my Fresh water 14 gallon BioCube over a month ago and currently all levels are good and my 4 tetras have been enjoying the tank and growing and growing for over two weeks. The problem is as soon as I started filtering the water the tank became slowly more and more "cloudy" (see pic.) Not a bacteria, slimy type of cloudy (I've had aquariums in the past and know what they look like) it appears to have very very fine white particles floating about. What are they? What good is this perfect aquarium if I cannot see in it, lol.

My decor & gravel are from PetSmart and were all well rinsed prior to introducing them to the tank, the water is tap which was left out prior to using it, and all directions for BioCube set up were followed. I think it is something in the filtration system (BioBalls???). Is this a common problem with BioCubes? I have had many successful tanks in the past. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_0571.jpg
    IMG_0571.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0719.jpg
    IMG_0719.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 52
How hard is your water? It could be precipitated minerals....Considering you don't have sand I'm not sure what else could do that to your tank.

Thanks! for your replies.

I was thinking about the water because our water is VERY hard - despite a house filtration system and softener, our water is still bad, we don not drink it. A friend suggested doing a 4 gallon water change with some spring water to see if it clears - what do you think?

What do you mean "how' did I cycle it? I added 4 tetra - ? I do not believe it is a bacteria bloom, like I said it is not slimy - how can I be sure it is not bacteria?

So does anyone think it is the biocube set up???

I was thinking about the water because our water is VERY hard - despite a house filtration system and softener, our water is still bad, we don not drink it. A friend suggested doing a 4 gallon water change with some spring water to see if it clears - what do you think?

What do you mean "how' did I cycle it? I added 4 tetra - ? I do not believe it is a bacteria bloom, like I said it is not slimy - how can I be sure it is not bacteria?

Forgive me for asking, as I am new to all of this, but curious. When you say "all levels are good", what specifically are you testing, and how, i.e. with strips or a drop test kit? Also, by cycling, i think the question is was it a fishless cycle?

Again forgive me if i speak from little experience, but I am curious, (and it is good learning for me).

BTW you do have a beautiful tank.

If all you did was add 4 tetras and never did a cycle, more than likely its a bacteria bloom. Michael asked two good questions. What are you testing with, and what are the exact ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels?

If it is a bacteria bloom, it'll clear itself up in a few days or so. Just keep an eye on your ammonia and nitrite levels

Cycling is adding an ammonia source so the bacteria that convert ammonia to nitrite and the bacteria that convert nitrite to nitrate grow in your tank to levels that can maintain levels of zero ammonia and zero nitrites. Nitrites and ammonia are deadly to your fish, so most people advocate adding ammonia in a way other than just adding fish.

From what it sounds like you had your tank running for two weeks before adding fish. Unfortunately, if you added nothing other than water those were a waste of two weeks. The bacteria that is essential for your fish cannot grow if they do not have a food source (ammonia). If there was nothing in the tank, there was no ammonia source, and therefore no growth of bacteria.

Based on your pictures, things I've read, and your post, I would say I'm about 99% sure it is bacteria. Since you added your fish two weeks ago that is when your tank started cycling (that is what we call the establishing of your bacteria-cycled means they are established) and now would be about the right time to see some major bacteria growth.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I think (not sure, haven't cycled too many tanks) that once you start seeing this you are getting close to having a cycled tank. I would suggest getting a test kit ASAP and testing your ammonia and nitrite levels and probably doing some water changes. Although, that could slow down the cycling, and I almost wonder if all the damage to your fish is already done. So maybe it would be better to just wait it out and hope for the best--that is if I'm right and this is a sign that your tank is close to being cycled. Any input pros?

Cycling is adding an ammonia source so the bacteria that convert ammonia to nitrite and the bacteria that convert nitrite to nitrate grow in your tank to levels that can maintain levels of zero ammonia and zero nitrites. Nitrites and ammonia are deadly to your fish, so most people advocate adding ammonia in a way other than just adding fish.

From what it sounds like you had your tank running for two weeks before adding fish. Unfortunately, if you added nothing other than water those were a waste of two weeks. The bacteria that is essential for your fish cannot grow if they do not have a food source (ammonia). If there was nothing in the tank, there was no ammonia source, and therefore no growth of bacteria.

Based on your pictures, things I've read, and your post, I would say I'm about 99% sure it is bacteria. Since you added your fish two weeks ago that is when your tank started cycling (that is what we call the establishing of your bacteria-cycled means they are established) and now would be about the right time to see some major bacteria growth.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I think (not sure, haven't cycled too many tanks) that once you start seeing this you are getting close to having a cycled tank. I would suggest getting a test kit ASAP and testing your ammonia and nitrite levels and probably doing some water changes. Although, that could slow down the cycling, and I almost wonder if all the damage to your fish is already done. So maybe it would be better to just wait it out and hope for the best--that is if I'm right and this is a sign that your tank is close to being cycled. Any input pros?

water changes won't slow the cycle. i have that on very good authority :)

Oh, I forgot to add before that I highly doubt the hard water is causing any issues. My water is about as hard as you can get. I swear, if it were any harder it'd be coming out rocks. I have never, in my ~10 years of fish keeping, have had hard water cause cloudy water.

water changes won't slow the cycle. i have that on very good authority :)
Yes, HN1 has a very good post on cycling with fish.... I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! (
multipage.gif
1 2 3 ... Last Page)

it will not slow the process....

just to explain why, its because your beneficial bacteria colonies are in substrate, filter mediums, little bit on decorations. hardly any in water. changing the water will remove the chemicals, dilute whats left without harming your cycle.

yes HN1 is one of the good authoritys :) i was just trying to figure out how to quote him from that thread when my computer dosnt want to play with quotes.

thnx! again for all of your input -

I have been using test strips recommended by PetSmart (Quick Dip) and all levels are coming up good - I did do a "one" gallon water change at one month. I will list what my strips test for and what my levels are:
Ammonia = 0 (ideal)
Nitrate = 0 (safe)
Nitrite = 0 (safe)
Hardness = 75 (soft)
Chlorine = 0 (safe)
Alkalinity 120 (ideal)
pH = 6.8 (Neutral)

btw my husband thinks the tank is looking clearer today and I think I see it too - maybe it is cycling, I thought it was already cycled. PS thnx for the props on the tank:) we like color since we live deep in the woods and usually only see one color, white (snow that is), lol

ok so the post says "When you consistently test zero for Ammonia & Nitrite and have increasing Nitrate, you have a cycled tank!" - why are my 3 levels always testing "safe" and "ideal", and since day one! Should I get different test strips? Do you recommend any brand? ... well I will do as it says and test more often, and tmr I will do a change as well.
btw - how many gallons of my 14 gallon tank do you recommend I change? I only did one the first time.

just to explain why, its because your beneficial bacteria colonies are in substrate, filter mediums, little bit on decorations. hardly any in water. changing the water will remove the chemicals, dilute whats left without harming your cycle.

yes HN1 is one of the good authoritys :) i was just trying to figure out how to quote him from that thread when my computer dosnt want to play with quotes.

I was getting more at the fact that you are reducing the bacterias food supply, thereby reducing the rate at which they reproduce.

I have been using test strips recommended by PetSmart (Quick Dip) and all levels are coming up good - I did do a "one" gallon water change at one month. I will list what my strips test for and what my levels are:
Ammonia = 0 (ideal)
Nitrate = 0 (safe)
Nitrite = 0 (safe)
Hardness = 75 (soft)
Chlorine = 0 (safe)
Alkalinity 120 (ideal)
pH = 6.8 (Neutral)

ok so the post says "When you consistently test zero for Ammonia & Nitrite and have increasing Nitrate, you have a cycled tank!" - why are my 3 levels always testing "safe" and "ideal", and since day one! Should I get different test strips? Do you recommend any brand? ... well I will do as it says and test more often, and tmr I will do a change as well.
btw - how many gallons of my 14 gallon tank do you recommend I change? I only did one the first time.

Go get a liquid test kit. Those strips are useless, and more expensive. The API kit is a larger purchase, but lasts much longer and is much more accurate. I think around here the test strips are like 12 dollars and they give you 20 or so. The API Master Freshwater kit is somewhere around 30 dollars, but you get like 800 tests.

I think the fact that you are testing zero on ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates shows that those strips are inaccurate. If you've had fish in there for two weeks and ammonia and nitrites are zero then you would have nitrates. Nitrates are what is produced by the bacteria breaking down the other two, so there really is no way around getting nitrates and you should really never have zero (unless you have some special nitrate removing set up).

If I were you I'd do a 50% water change.

Back
Top Bottom