Newbie - need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

agp

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys,

I read the first few pages of this thread with all the members' tanks, set up, and costs. I'm interested in getting a small tank, I was curious if you guys bought one of those Marineland Starter Kits, or did you buy the tank, filtration system, and other equipments separately?
My budget for a tank is ~$150, but of course the cheaper the better. Can I get a ~20 gallon tank with that budget or do I have to go lower? Can I go higher? Can anyone give me a general list for me to get started?

Thanks,

Hunter

your best bet is to check craigslist. if you are fine with going for a used tank you can save a ton. i often find tanks with stand for $1 a gallon or less. i have bought 40 gallon tanks with stand and filters for $25 here. check it out. the bigger the tank you get the less work it is really. more water keeps the tank more stable plus gives you more stocking options.

Tank
Stand
Filter (remember often they over rate them so i tend to take what they claim and cut in half. 20 gallon filter i would put on a 10 gallon tank.)
Heater
Test kit (api is a good one $18 Walmart.com: Freshwater Master Test Kit: Fish)
a couple fish Nets
Fish food my fav is Kens Fish Home of Quality Fish Food, And Supplies At Excellent Prices. but you can get stuff local...
something to treat the water i use prime
a light to see the fish (i would highly suggest looking into plants since they keep the tank more stable but thats just me. something for you to think about)

read up on how to cycle a tank. and later on invest in a QT.

I'll try to price out a new set of stuff, all being new and from my area...
29 gallon + hood/light 70$ish (it was 65 3 years ago, and I expect it went up)
Heater 20$ish
filter 40$ish
test kit that mgamer posted is good (I just ordered one)
misc stuff (nets food etc) 20$ish
decorations (sand, rocks etc) <15$ (turface works well, 8$ for 50 lbs, pool filter sand, about the same)

I got around $185, but if you shop around online, you could save a bunch on the food nets filter etc. You will also need to get some fish. Like Mgamer said, craigslist works too, as well as ebay.

Bare minimum, you need the tank, heater, filter, fish and food. If you don't need a light right away, Petsmart has 20 gallon longs for around 31$, but it has no hood/light (same footprint as the 29) If you want plants, I think you'll eventually toss the hood that comes with the 29, so.. it's a question of paying now or later.

Oh, and usually those kits that stores sell are a waste of money, because you realize that you'll just replace everything, and end up spending more money

Thanks for the help guys, I'm not too sure on plants. I know I want them, but definitely not until I get more comfortable. Right now I'm just looking to throw in some gravel, rocks, and piece of driftwood.

I did a search on Craigslist, and found one or two interesting ads and have set up meetings with the seller. Tomorrow I'm going to go to a local fish store (it's an independent store, not one of those chains like Petco and Petsmart) and find out their prices.

And how many fish can a 20G tank hold? Should I get a bigger tank if I don't plan on upgrading the tank size any time soon? If so, how much bigger?

it depends on what fish you want to keep. i always go with go as big as you can afford and still fit in the house. the bigger the tank the bigger the size. some times with craigslist you have to wait a couple weeks for something good to come up.

just read about fishless cycling.

Yep I agree, the bigger the better. I saw some pretty awesome deals on CL too bad I didn't have enough cash. This guy was getting a divorce and was selling his 90gal ADG tank complete with plants, substrate, lighting, fauna, and pressurized co2 for 800 and also solid oak stand. What a shame, sweet deal.
It was a nice tank too, really sturdy frameless breeder.
Oh and yes, we have ADG in houston they have an office here (based in houston in fact) and I've seen their vans many times in my area.

So just keep your eyes out.

I just picked up a 10 gallon tank and some little rocks to layer on the bottom. Can anyone recommend a specific filtration system and heater?

Ok, I'll pick up those two later today. What about oxygen? Do I need one of those things that you connect to a porous rock and blow oxygen into the tank?

Ebo jagers are usually the most recommended (I think they stopped making them though).. I also hear visitherms and stealths alot. For filters, I usually like penguins (maybe the 100 or 125)

Marineland Penguin 100B Power Filter - Filters - Power Filters at BigalsOnline

or you could try out this one.

Tom Rapid Mini Canister Filter C-80 - Filters - Canister Filters at BigalsOnline

This was my first canister (if it is considered one.. lol) and I think it worked out pretty well. It has two compartments, one for the ceramic rings and another for the pad (I switched to filter floss and a sponge because the original started to dissolve.

Those are mostly for decoration. The oxygen comes from surface agitation, so any filter with reasonable flow (or in the case of a canister, also how the spray bar is pointing) it will give you enough oxygen for your fish.

good luck.

Which is the quieter one? And what's the difference between the Penguine 150, 200 and 350?

I don't have much experience with aquaclears, but the difference with the penguins is flows. Usually with hobs you look for 10x or so an hour (turnover) so a 10 gallon wants around 100gph. Penguins also come with bio wheels, which aerate the water some more, but it might make a little more noise, but I don't have anything to compare them with, and I haven't had the chance to use the newer ones (the b series).

With the Marineland Penguin 100B, do I still need to use the ammonium/nitrite tester kit, or can I just leave the filter running for 3 or 4 weeks?

You need to test your water all the time. You test it when you cycle, and then afterwards you can test it regulary to make sure the levels aren't getting out of hand. If either of the levels gets too high it can kill your fish, no matter what you have in your tank. :)

Okay so I have these three things in my shopping cart...

1. Marineland Penguin 100B Power Filter
2. Marineland Stealth Pro Shatter-Proof Heater - 50 Watt
3. Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Freshwater Master Test Kit

Please let me know if I should add more while I pick out some decorations.

Thanks!

a thermometer? it was an after thought for me, just thought i'd mention it. also, you'll want a good siphon or python. i don't think i saw that mentioned. i don't know where you are shopping but this one will do for a 10 gallon tank Lee's Self-Start Stretch Ultra Gravel Vac at PETCO (same one i have, nice and simple, works great) plus a couple of 5 gallon buckets are definitely a good thing to have.

What's siphon/python do? And would the thermostat itself suffice, considering it should act as a thermometer itself?

no, you should have a separate thermometer just in case IMO. and the siphon is for vacuuming the gravel and doing PWCs. you will be needing to do PWCs and vacuuming at least once weekly. pythons are a little more extensive, and connect straight to your faucet, allowing you to drain the tank directly into the sink and fill it straight from the faucet. for a 10 gallon, however, a 5 gallon bucket and a simple siphon will do the trick.

EDIT: PWC = partial water change :)

Back
Top Bottom