newbie needs help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryder9966

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi there, i recently purchased a 2gallon tank from a local store...i have installed everything needed, pump plants gravel etc....i am a complete n00b when it comes to fish tanks, and i have 2 danios in the tank...first off is that ok....

secondly, my one danio is a zebra danio, he seems really mellow, while the other pinker somthing, not sure what its called, is very fritzy, not really sure why...

thirdly, how often do i need to change the water, general matenaince and whatnot, i have read many online articles, but most do not refer to such a small tank....

feeding...how should i go about that... any help would be greatly appreciated

Welcome to AA! A 2gal tank is really not suitable for fish. With the two fish you have, you are overstocked. I would suggest a larger tank. To help identify your fish, check

http://fishprofiles.com many examples of danios are featured with pics.

How long did your tank run before you added the fish?

Hey, welcome! I totally agree with Jchillin, I would definitely upgrade to a larger tank. Two gallons of water is just not enough for ANY fish. If you have room for a ten gallon tank, I would look into that.

I agree with Jchillin, a 2g tank is too small. I would suggest a 10g or larger. The larger the tank the "safer" you are. For instance ph swings won't happen as quickly and same with ammonia spikes. So get the biggest tank you can get.

The pink danio you have is probably one of the "modified" danios. Where they messed with the DNA or something to get a pink pigment. I don't know exactly you'll have to double check at a site that Jchillin mentioned. The other danio is zooming around because he only has 2g to swim in. He'd be much happier in a larger tank. I have a school of danios myself and they are very active. There are good articles at aquarium advice. wetwebmedia.com is good, aquahobby.com has some good ones, thekrib.com has a ton of articles. Do you have test kits? You'll want to know the ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte ppm's. Hope this helps and good luck.

I definitely recommend a larger tank. Not just for the fish but for yourself as well. A bigger tank means more fish and, believe it or not, less maintenance. I found that a 5 gallon tank is perfect for an office desk and that 10 gallons is better if you have more room. And it is easier to maintain because more water volume means less dramatic swings in water conditions like temperature and pH. I would recommend partial water changes at least once a week.

get a larger tank. period. your fish will be much happier and this will give you a wider varity of fish to select. feeding: for the fish you currently have, get flake food of any kind. i use TetraMin. in a ten gal.(if you get one) PARTIALLY change the water every 2 to three weeks. i do not suggest taking all the water out at the same time, primarily becuase it defeats the purpose of cycling.if you do not wish to upgrade to a larger tank, sell the fish you have and maybe get a pygmy corydora,or a betta.

Back
Top Bottom