Newbie, please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ForestLazer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Our family got a 10 gallon tank a few days ago. We added bacteria and let the filter run for a couple days like the lady said. Yesterday we had the water tested and it was fine so we got some fish and 2 snails. We got a fancy guppy, mickey platy, glolite tetra, gold pristella tetra and a lyretail sword. There is also a banana plant in the tank.

This morning I woke up and both tetras were dead. I'm pretty sure the mickey platy is on it's way out as well. :( I have the API master test kit and tested everything this morning. The ph was 6.8 and everything else was at 0. Something is off right?

Any advice would be appreciated! I don't want all of the fish to die:(

Follow the directions exactly as you read them when testing with that kit. The nitrate test has to be followed to the T. I'm assuming your tank is cycled and you should retest the nitrate. My thought is how you added the fish. Some tetras are touchy to new environment. Add fish by floating the bag to get the bag water at same temp as tank and with light off. About 10-15mins. Then add a little tank water at a time to the bag slowly. About 5-10mins at a time. Remove some of the water from the bag poor that down the drain. Don't ever add bag water to your tank. Then add a little more tank water wait 5-10mins. Net the fish and add to tank. Poor bag water down drain.

I added the fish kind of like that. I put the bag in for 15 minutes then added some water from the tank, waited 15 minutes and then scooped the fish in. I had the light on when I did it though. I'm honestly surprised they died because they seemed fine. The fish that lived were the ones that I thought were having a hard time. The mickey platy is pretty much gone. It's just floating in the corner hardly moving. I thought I followed the directions for the testing, but I'll try again just to make sure.

I just tested the nitrate again and it's still at 0. I made sure to follow the directions and everything =\

I just tested the nitrate again and it's still at 0. I made sure to follow the directions and everything =\
The only reading you should have right now is ammonia.

Here's an article that should be very fitting to your situation:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/i-just-learned-about-cycling-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now/

PS- Employees at pet stores who actually know/care about fish are few and far between, so take their advice with a grain of salt and a Google search.

Thank you! I guess I'll just test the water every day and do frequent water changes until I get a proper cycle going.

Thank you! I guess I'll just test the water every day and do frequent water changes until I get a proper cycle going.
Best way to get it going is to get a used filter sponge from an existing tank. Your local fish store might be willing to give you or sell you a piece of sponge.

I had to go pick up a water changer and they wouldn't give me a filter or anything. I'm going to test the water everyday, but how often should I change the water? What measurement of ammonia should I do a water change at?

Ammonia @ .25 no higher than .50 a 10g tank you wanta test daily. Morning and night. Go easy on the feeding. Be sure to vacuum the bottom to keep ammonia spikes down. There will be times you might have to do a few water changes @ 50% to get your ammonia down. The more you stay on it the better it will be.

Thank you! I'll test every morning and night and do whatever I need. I haven't lost any other fish as of this morning and some how the mickey platy is still kicking! I thought for sure he was going to die. Thank you so much for all of the help!

Back
Top Bottom