newbie question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pirate_Paul

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hey people of AA!!!!!

just wanted to say im new to the aquariums and all and im buying a 60 gal tank this week some time and im wondering what do i need to start the whole fresh water world.

I know i need a tank and all but where do i get the water for the tank? What kinda pump is good enough to support a whole community of fish (dunno what kind but thinking some catfish and some others)? What kinda light do i need to sustain the required temp? Do i use real sand or buy stones for the bottom? Real plants or fake plants?

When i get the tank home what do i do....cycle the water or pour water in and put fish in? blah blah blah all noob questions.

I know i saw on this site somewhere where all these questions could be answered but i cant find it no more so maybe you ladies and gents can help me out.

this would be better suited in "getting started"

First...welcome to AA! i'm new to the forum as well, and it is a great place indeed.

Water-tap water is fine just make sure you use a dechlorinator when you put it in the tank. The best way to get things started is by doing a fishless cycle to get your nitrogen cycle started. This may take from 2-8 weeks, but it is the best way to go overall.

Filter-You'll need to purchase a quality filter to keep your water clean, and maintain your bioload. The filter is what contains the media that keeps your cycle going.

Water Cycle-You'll konw when the cycle is complete when your water parms are ammonia=0, nitrite=0, nitrate=0-40. Most people here use the API master test kit to test their water params.

Fish-add fish once the cycle is complete. You'll konw when the cycle is complete when your water parms are ammonia=0, nitrite=0, nitrate=0-40.

Substrate-Sand or gravel is fine.

Plants-You can use live or fake. I'd start with fake just to make getting used to everything a little easier.

Lighting-lighting is NOT your heat source. If its just fish any decent lighting will do. Decent meaning whatever comes with your tank.

Heat-you will need to purchase a submersible heater for your tank.

black hills tj has gave you some great advice! what kinda fish are you planning on puttin in the tank? live or fake plants? what kind of filtration do ya wanna use? if I can offer one piece of usual advice its this: stay away from the quick dip test strips! they are horrible!!!! buy a nice liquid reagent test kit for your water parameters. I use Aquarium Pharmacueticlas test kit for my planted freshwater tank. The only brand of test kits I have used oir will use! I use the PH, Nitrates, Nitrite, Phosphate,Ammonia, General Hardness and Karbonate Hardness

I'd like to add that you want the Nitrates to be at least 10. A 0 reading would indicate the tank is not cycled.

Back
Top Bottom