Newbie: Questions Fishless Nitrogen Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
4-8ppm is nowhere close to happy fish. The bacteria need something to eat, but nothing even close to that. May not be what you want to hear but a massive water change is needed at those numbers. Fish may be able to tolerate more than many say, but those numbers are WAY out of the healthy zone. Liquid ammonia dosing in a fishless cycle is even less than that.

Truly not trying to make you angry, but many species will be dead pretty quick with ammonia numbers considerably less than yours. I am changing some water at 1ppm.

4-8ppm is nowhere close to happy fish. The bacteria need something to eat, but nothing even close to that. May not be what you want to hear but a massive water change is needed at those numbers. Fish may be able to tolerate more than many say, but those numbers are WAY out of the healthy zone. Liquid ammonia dosing in a fishless cycle is even less than that.

Truly not trying to make you angry, but many species will be dead pretty quick with ammonia numbers considerably less than yours. I am changing some water at 1ppm.
Spot on, and I believe the mollies may have something. Can we get pics. I suggest you get a bottle of seachem Prime, it will detoxify ammonia and nitrites. If doing fish-in cycling you must protect your fish as previous post said?

You're right with the fact you can't put a 10" long fish in a 10 gallon, but wouldn't the 1 inch thing work for the tetras she's talking about?
Yes it would work. You have to think logically when talking about that rule. Only when getting into large tanks and specialty fish does it not apply.

Okay after I used the the ammonia tablets it went down between 1-2ppm. What levels should the ammonia be at during a fish in cycle. Yes I will post a picture asap.

Back
Top Bottom