Newbie questions re:temp, algae, behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

orca7

Aquarium Advice Newbie
HI there. Just a few quick questions for my new 10 gal.

1. Most effective at removing algae: snails or algae eaters?
2. If my aquarium gets too hot (i.e. no AC in FL), is there a way to cool it down? Ice cubes?
3. I'm fish-sitting a friend's tank which has 2 rainbow sharks. I felt bad for the smaller shark, as it was forced into a corner by the larger. I put the small one into my tank and it's personality has certainly changed. It's harassing my fish and I no longer feel sorry for it. I don't want it to stress out my fish to where they get sick--will this aggressive little guy settle down or should I put him back in his tank?

Thanks for your time!

[center:df8fedfe1b]First off, WELCOME to AA!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: [/center:df8fedfe1b]

I have some Qs for you:
What is in your 10 gal?
Is it cycled?
What color is the algae?

I would put the shark back. IMHO, any larger fish will become KING among smaller fish.

Too hot? You could move to Calgary :lol: Someone in a warmer climate will be better able to answer.

For algae--it will depend on your bioload already in the tank. My first suggestion is otos--they have been getting great reviews on here lately, but again, it depends on what's already going on in your tank. Also, some fish only eat ceratin algae.

Welcome to Aquarium Advice, orca7!!!!

1) Snails will eat many types of algae, but my feeling is that fish are more effective if you have lots of it. There's lot of different types of algae, so you may need several algae eaters to keep it all it check. Otos tend to eat brown diatoms while other fish like Siamese algae eaters and bristlenose cats eat the green stuff. Good thing about a 10 gal is that it's relatively easy to clean yourself.

2) Consider yourself lucky. Winter just will not go away here in NY! :evil:
You could set up a desk fan so that it blows on the water surface and cools the tank by evaporation. Some people even mount little computer fans in their tank hoods too. Ice cubes are probably not a good idea since they create localized temperature fluctuations - you also have to constantly replace them.
I couldn't live without AC in Florida!

3) I'm assuming (hoping) that your friend's tank is way bigger than your 10 gal. The rainbow is probably used to a much bigger territory and all of a sudden, finds himself plopped into a relatively tiny 10 gal. I wouldn't keep him in there - obviously, he isn't happy and he's just going to make your fish miserable too. Perhaps you could provide him with a hiding place in his own tank, like a big plastic plant or a very clean piece of PVC pipe. How big are the two rainbow cats?

Thank you for the quick responses! FL winter is great, but summers can be overwhelming. I have a small AC unit, but it's not in the same room as the tanks. It will help a bit, but may use the fan suggestion also.

I'm an idiot--what are otos?

My friend's tank (20 gal) actually has the algae infestation--mine is fairly algae free. Color is dark green. Yep, I think I will go ahead and put the rainbow back in the large tank where he does have plants to hide in. He's ~2.5" an the other is ~3.5". Poor guy just gets picked on all the time in there. Ah well.

My cycled 10 gal tank has the following:
1 pleco
2 rosy barbs
1 buenos aires tetra
2 bronze corys
1 paradise gourami

Friend's 20 gal:
2 harlequin rasboras
1 scissortail
1 rainbow shark (soon to be 2...)
1 bala shark
1 raphael cat
1 upside-down cat

orca7 said:
I'm an idiot--what are otos?

Oops!. No, you're not an idiot - we just need a jargon alarm around here! :D
Otos are short for Otocinclus affinis catfish. They're very industrious tank cleaners and very peaceful - a little hard to find in good health , tho.

Is the algae stuck on the walls and decorations, or is the water itself green? Algae eaters don't eat the algae that floats around in the water. The only way to get rid of this type of algae is by cutting back on the feeding, reducing light hitting the tank, and doing lots of big water changes.

BTW, an algae bloom in and of itself is not harmful to the fish; it just looks gross to us. However, it can be an early sign that things are not right (overfeeding, not enough water changes, not enough filtration, etc).

The algae is on the tank sides and decorations--comes off pretty easy w/an algae scrubber. The water itself is clear. I just changed the water and I'll keep the feeding in check. Tx!

Hey orca7 wuz up,
I just got 2 Apple Snails. And so far no algae. So IMHO Snails. For your other questions I've no idea ( :n00b: ) so I'll just leave that to everyone else.

Thanks, Beacious. :pimp:

I agree with QTOFFER. I have have snails and I have algae eating fish, and the snails just don't really make a dent in algae, frankly.

Definitely use a fan across the top of the tank - that will work wonders. I lived in Lake Worth for 9 years, 6 of them without AC in my house or my car, so I know what you are talking about! I never had a heater for my tanks, back then.

The rainbow shark is an aggressive fish towards its own kind (conspecifics), so it is not a good idea to keep 2 of them together. That is probably the reason for the trouble in your friend's tank. They are not a good choice for a 10-gal, either, as you have found out!

Not sure...it looks like Allivmyar's (but smaller):
Well, fish all start out small! Most plecos sold are "common" and can reach lengths of well over a foot! My common pleco is currently 7". I also have a Rubber Lip pleco and his max size is 4-5"--I don't get to see him often, but he really has not grown much since I bought him over a year ago.

*starts laughing*

Oi orca. If you have the same type of plec I have, you have a liposarcus pardalis.

I got mine 2 yrs ago, when I went into a lfs and innocently said, "I need an algae eater". They sold me what I called "the lil guy"; he was barely an inch and a half long, and I popped him into my 8g with my 2 angelfish (boy was I ignorant then!).

After 3-4 months, he had more then doubled in size, and I knew I had a prob. I FINALLY did some research and...oh dear...these guys can get up to 2 FEET long.

Currently the "lil guy" is in my 55g (yeah, I finally got a clue LOL) along with 5 angels and 6 loaches. He is just over 8 inches long. When he hits a foot I'll start looking for homes for him; I don't have the room for a larger tank. Mind you, he is a spectacular algae eater; I never have algae in the 55g although I have it in all my other tanks. Also, when they hit 5-6 inches, they require protein in their diet. You'll find em chowing on the foods you feed the other fish as it has protein in it.

Well, fish all start out small!

Um, yes they do...?

After 3-4 months, he had more then doubled in size, and I knew I had a prob.

Yep, mine has grown quickly since I got him 5 months ago. Good excuse to go out and purchase a larger tank, although may have to follow your lead when he outgrows it. Didn't realize aquariums were so addictive. :D Will be researching my pleco further to determine the exact Species, if possible.

Back
Top Bottom