Newbie seeking advice on 55gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Add fish as you can, it's important to keep things stable. Think of Gouramis as Betta cousins...territorial and not a schooling fish. I would return 2 of them. Otherwise you may see some bullied to death.

I prefer same species of Cory. A big group will play great together. Greens, Corydoras aeneus, color up great. They get pretty chunky too.
Were they labeled Green or Emerald Green ?

Green aka Bronze are typically C aeneus.
Emeralds are a Cory cousin Brochis splendens. They get bigger.

PlanetCatfish.com - Corydoras aeneus • Callichthyidae • Cat-eLog

Are your Platies and Mollies males ? Or mixed ? If you have females they'll add more themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At Petsmart they were just labeled Green Cory but the tag stated they were splendens. I remember that because I was trying to decide between them and the albino corys and was trying to figure out the specifics and had to see what their Latin name was to get that information. I will get more of them. I'm not picky about the type I put in there. I had just noticed they had another variety called the Melini (sp?) that looked interesting but I would rather have happy corys than the variety.

I thought everyone was male in the tank (at least according to google). The only ones I wasn't sure of the gender was the zebra danios, mostly because they kept moving so fast I couldn't identify them fast enough. The gentleman that took the catfish and pleco, texted me later and said he found a fry in there as well but it was too small to tell what fish it was. I haven't seen any fry and I'm assuming most get eaten right away but it means I'm not sure who is breeding. Based on what I read after googling, I have to assume it is the zebra danios breeding and not any of the others. On the other hand, I could be very mistaken. The two platys left have gotten really fat but I just thought I was overfeeding them too much. Any idea of a reliable method of telling male from female other than trusting a random google site?

It's likely not Danios breeding. They are egg layers.

I say the easiest way to sex livebearers is to say the fin on the belly is a sword on the male and a fan on the female.

Sexing the Danios would be more subtle , females are larger and have a rounder outline and the males are smaller and slimmer.

Brochis splendens get a really nice sheen on them if they are kept well.

So on further inspection... I'm pretty sure both living platys are female. I think the skinnier one probably had the babies recently. The other hasn't had hers yet.

20160122_182234.jpg
20160122_182248.jpg

Sorry for the poor picture quality. They didn't want to stay still for a photo and I made the mistake of feeding the tank (and my daughter helped with the feeding so they were a little over fed) and digging around in the sand causing the water to become a little spotty.

On another note... I remember reading somewhere that horned nerite snails had a habit of laying little white eggs everywhere. Would these be those? Or are they something else? Sorry for bad picture quality but my phone kept auto focusing out of focus ever time I took the picture. This was the best of the bunch.

20160122_182925.jpg

Daily tank test results... This is without the pleco and catfish in there.

20160122_182543.jpg

20160122_182415.jpg

Tank as it currently is. I plan on getting something for the back. Just haven't made up my mind on what I'm going to do. Thinking I'll just go for simple and put a black background. I am also thinking about getting some driftwood as well to put in there.

Better picture of the white specs....

20160122_223818.jpg

And the best pic I could get of my very active little corys.

20160122_224038.jpg

After looking at the link above, they look more like the bronze than the emerald green to me.

Yes those look like Nerite egg s.
Yes, they look like C aeneus at least from your pic. They prob got them mixed up. I hope they were same price or I'd tell them they sold wrong species if Brochis cost more.

Yes those look like Nerite egg s.
Yes, they look like C aeneus at least from your pic. They prob got them mixed up. I hope they were same price or I'd tell them they sold wrong species if Brochis cost more.

They were the same I believe. Doesn't matter to me all that much. I'll just make sure to get the same ones when I go to get the rest.

Back
Top Bottom