Newbie Setting Up a 45g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WCAlexander

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I received a 45 gallon bowfront tank from a family member who was throwing it out a few years ago, and recently have been wanting to set it up. I rinsed and scraped it out, got some gravel recommended by a local shop, and have filled it with water and decorations. I like the look of the Electric Blue Crayfish and hope to get some of them, but before i take the next step and buy some fish, I was wanting some advice on a few things.

• My water tests very hard and alkaline(8+ph), I've been treating it with a buffer for a few days but it still maxes out the cheapo test strips i got, is there a better way to remedy this?
  • Like i mentioned, I would like some crayfish, 2 probably, is there any special care I need to be aware of in their case?
  • Branching off of that question, are there some neat top-dwelling fish that i can put in with the crayfish and at least mostly survive?
  • Is there anything worth knowing that I haven't thought to ask?

Here's a picture of my (for some reason slightly upside down from my point of view) tank

Sent from my SCH-R960 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1409110109402.jpg
    1409110109402.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 65
You'll want to buy a liquid text kit API Master test kit is great. It runs about $30. Also it's important to make sure your tank has cycled properly. Are you planning to do a fish-in cycle or a fishless cycle? Check out some of the threads in the "getting started" section. Good luck!

If you water is highly buffered as most hard high ph water is it is very difficult to lower the ph without cutting it with RO water to lower the KH. This is not super fun on a tank that size.

I would instead work on finding fish which thrive in hard water. Your water is perfect for quite a few different varieties of fish.

I suggest avoiding chemical buffers. They very commonly lead to instability, and sudden spikes in your parameters are bad. Fish raised in your local water should be used to similar parameters, and most commonly available community fish will adapt to steady parameters just fine.
With an electric blue cray, I assume you are looking into top dwelling fish so they stay away from claw height, I suggest looking into the zebra danio. They come in a long finned variety as well. There is also the leopard danio and the pearl danio. They are speedy, and stay at the top of the tank. Another tanktop dweller is the golden wonder killifish or hatchetfish.
Personally, I really don't believe electric blue crays belong in with fish. Some people do it. Up to you. Just make sure to research a lot so you know what you are getting into.

First, thank you for all the responses, secondly, I would like to do a fish in cycle, as soon as they'll survive, which brings me to thirdly, by "cutting it with RO water I assume you mean distilled water? Just for fun, how much, if someone cares to hazard a guess, distilled water to alkaline water would that take? If it was 25/75% it might be doable but any higher becomes, as you said, not fun.

Just for fun, how much, if someone cares to hazard a guess, distilled water to alkaline water would that take? If it was 25/75% it might be doable but any higher becomes, as you said, not fun.
You would need to measure the KH in your tap water to get a good answer to this question. But it would typically be 50% or higher if you needed to do it.

First, thank you for all the responses, secondly, I would like to do a fish in cycle, as soon as they'll survive, which brings me to thirdly, by "cutting it with RO water I assume you mean distilled water? Just for fun, how much, if someone cares to hazard a guess, distilled water to alkaline water would that take? If it was 25/75% it might be doable but any higher becomes, as you said, not fun.

RO and distilled are not the same process, though they effectively create a similar product, and for this purpose it is close enough.
Difference Between Distilled & Reverse Osmosis Water
Distilled water vs RO water?

The cray should be fine in your current water. They seem to do well in a large variety of conditions.
Keep in mind crays like to eat other crays. If you want to try more than 1, make sure there are enough hiding places. Also, they are capable of climbing out of the tank so a good lid is suggested. Also, top dwelling fish like danios can sometimes be jumpers, so double reasons to make sure to have well fitting lid. :)

Back
Top Bottom