Newbie- Snails and cabomba questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lu1119

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have just discovered in my marineland 12gal eclipse tank 2 snails looking like the one in the pictures. Can anyone help me identify them?

Also, I have java fern, red wendtii, banana plant and cabomba in the tank. All seem to do fine with the exception of cabomba. It changed the color to brown and then "melted". I use fluorite and a bit of gravel on top as a substrate. Banana plant is going nuts but I don't understand why cabomba is dying. Please help. Thank you.

Attachments

• image-4226490759.jpg
    image-4226490759.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 66
  • image-3294302738.jpg
    image-3294302738.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 70
I have just discovered in my marineland 12gal eclipse tank 2 snails looking like the one in the pictures. Can anyone help me identify them?

Also, I have java fern, red wendtii, banana plant and cabomba in the tank. All seem to do fine with the exception of cabomba. It changed the color to brown and then "melted". I use fluorite and a bit of gravel on top as a substrate. Banana plant is going nuts but I don't understand why cabomba is dying. Please help. Thank you.

Those snails look like pond snails. Probably hitchhiked with the plants.

Pond Snails! Squish them!! Just one can have hundreds of babies. Well, not THAT many, but a lot.

Those are indeed pond snails and you should remove them or trap them as IMO they serve no good purpose in a tank. As for Cabomba it can be a very finicky plant and will shed all it's leaves or melt when not happy. It really likes when liquid carbon (Excel, API CO2 Booster/Glutaraldehyde) is used in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom