Newbie Taking on a Doozy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thats awesome.

So biotope style?
Wow I just looked that word up. That seems to be exactly what I want to do. I don't want any old tank, I want this to be somewhat a window into Florida's freshwater. The problem is I know basically nothing and will settle for nothing less.? on the bright side, I just got a job so I'll be able to handle this project much better. I have a bucket full of sand I have to clean, I have my wood and still need to remove the bark. I just decided in not going to do the shelf any longer, sorry, just going to plant it. For the ease of this project, im going to consider water lettuce as native since its a nice big top water plant and there's an open debate that it may be native. The fish can hide under these. I also just got the "perfect dipnet" in the mail from Jonahs aquarium. Unboxing on my YT channel

Wow I just looked that word up. That seems to be exactly what I want to do. I don't want any old tank, I want this to be somewhat a window into Florida's freshwater. The problem is I know basically nothing and will settle for nothing less.? on the bright side, I just got a job so I'll be able to handle this project much better. I have a bucket full of sand I have to clean, I have my wood and still need to remove the bark. I just decided in not going to do the shelf any longer, sorry, just going to plant it. For the ease of this project, im going to consider water lettuce as native since its a nice big top water plant and there's an open debate that it may be native. The fish can hide under these. I also just got the "perfect dipnet" in the mail from Jonahs aquarium. Unboxing on my YT channel
Wicked...water letuce is an amazing idea

Loving this dipnet!! Caught so many cool fish today with it. Here two new species located for my tank, again in the creek behind my house. Flagfish and swamp darter

Attachments

• 20170205_180433-1.jpg
    20170205_180433-1.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 83
  • 20170205_181217-1-1-1.jpg
    20170205_181217-1-1-1.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 96
The "perfect dipnet" from Jonahs aquarium. I mentioned it twice before, my YouTube channel is "finna fish" there's an uboxing video of the net there.

Oh thats what its called, haha
I just thought you were saying how great it was.
Checkin out the video now

With my substrate cleaned and my python no spill arriving I decided to finally fill my tank. Well guess what my aqueon quietflow 75 isn't working properly. Its making a loud noise and not taking up any water. I looked it up online and it said to clean the uptake mechanism. I did that and no luck. I filled my tank

False alarm! I figured it out. Tank is finally up and running. Anyone have any idea on how I can debark a piece of wood without a pressure washer?

Water and substrate! Wool finally cycling this thng. Im not sure I have enough substrate

Attachments

• 20170309_104830.jpg
    20170309_104830.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 65
False alarm! I figured it out. Tank is finally up and running. Anyone have any idea on how I can debark a piece of wood without a pressure washer?
If you are not afraid of applying some elbow grease, I think that grabbing some sandpaper from a local hardware store and just going at it should help debark your wood. I don't know if there is any chemicals used in the creation of sandpaper that you wouldn't want in the tank, but it is much cheaper than a pressure washer.

Also if the bark is still on depending on the species may still be green. It's wise to use aged dead hardwood.

Sand rocks and shells I collected and cleaned. There's a pic of the tank back in the thread. I wish I had a porch! I've been doing this from an apartment with no porch sadly. Also the trash people just took my net because I left it outside my door and passed out... There goes 80$ and my life blood in fishing/collecting... ????

It was just the head and was right next to the trash receptacles for my unit. There's one at every door, a little wooden box. Anyhow I've contacted the front office and I'm trying to work it out... Lesson learned.

So some flag fish are considered a type of north American killifish and the AKA has a lot of info on em
Im stoked cuz this means a trip to Florida this summer :)

Back
Top Bottom