Newbie: Temperature and Current

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

borghe

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have my 45 gallon tank setup. I have two guppies in there to cycle it (from what I understand the stress on the fish shouldn't be too bad in a tank that size while it is cycling). I am happy with how everything has turned out except for two things:

1. Current. I have a 40 gallon rated air pump going through an air rock under the gravel. There are practically white caps on the water at top where the oxygen is leaving. It sure seems like it is creating a bit of current, and the guppies are getting tossed around (though they are still willingly going through the draft which is on the far side of the tank). I also have a 60 gallon filter admittedly turned all the way up. ironically the actual current being generated from that doesn't seem to bother them, only the virtual vlocano that is the air rock. now I can throw a regulator valve on the airline tubing, but if the pump is rated for 40 gallons, then it sure doesn't seem like I would want to turn that down at all in a 45 gallon tank? Right? I just don't want it to seem like the fish are getting tossed around left and right in the tank. I was debating on throwing a rock formation over the air rock to disperse the flow a little, but want to be able to design something first so need something in the meantime, or if there is just a better answer instead.

2. Temperature. My thermometer claims it is 80 degrees no matter what. This is warmer than I would like to keep it. It is in the same vicinity as my computer (which warms the area a bit) but both are fairly close (5-8 feet) to the master thermostat which is set to 76. The tank thermostat was also set to 76. so I dropped the house thermostat down to 74 and nothing happened. I then dropped the tank thermostat down to 75 and nothing happened. I am still right against 80. I am using a typical tube fluorescent light and the lighting hood is sitting on top of a glass top. I admittedly haven't looked at the temp in the morning when the light has been off. While I am waiting to get a look at that, what do I do if it is the light? What do I do if it isn't the light?

All advice is welcome and appreciated.

If your using one of those stick on thermometers I found them to be highly inaccurate and upgraded to a digital thermometer for less than $15.00.

Sizing an air pump for the gallon size of the tank seems to be a rough sizing guideline. As the air volume needed would depend on the number of devices, length of tubing, and most importantly personal preference. If you feel that the air flow is too much reduce the volume with a regulating valve.

Of course I am still a newbie at this, but those are my opinions.

Good Luck

Welcome to AA borghe.

I have a bubble wall in my 29.I didn't like the current it put out either so I bought a little gang valve (stick with the metal one) and then I split the air flow.Some goes to the air stone and some just blows into the room.I cut the bubble output by about half,maybe more,and like the results.

How do you measure temp?Inside or outside the tank?

the temperature is measured inside the tank with a mercury thermometer suctioned to the side. I know the thermometer works because at room temperature it was correct and when I filled the tank it dropped to the 50 or so degrees the water was from the outside faucet. I'm not saying it is accurate or anything, just saying I know it should work. I could take it outside the tank tonight and see what it says compared to the thermostat for controlling the temperature in the house. Was more jsut wondering how much a difference the light makes. Though I will check that tomorrow morning.

as for the air pump, if I can turn down the air pressure to create less current and it still be healthy for the tank, I would rather do that. Currently it is virtually a geyser that the guppies have to contend with. It is kind of fun to watch them shoot through the bubbles, but most of the time watching them it just looks like they are fighting to not get swept away. Do I have to worry about anything attaching a valve to the line? is there a best place to do it? do I have to worry about my tank being siphoned?

You have what I have to measure temp.I find both of mine to very accurate.As you say you'll know in the morning if its the lights.
You may want to notice if the heater is oming on and turning off.You'll can usualy tell by watching by the red/orange glow on the inside of the heater itself.
If its turning on and off its regulating the current temp.If it just stays off then the the tank is hotter then the heater setpoint.
If is is coming on the heater may be faulty (bad thermostat).

Do I have to worry about anything attaching a valve to the line? is there a best place to do it? do I have to worry about my tank being siphoned?

No worries.I bought the gang valve that hangs on the back of the tank.Just run the line from the pump to the valve inlet then a line from one outlet to the stone.Leave the other outlet free and use that valve to let air out (less to the other outlet) hence you regulate the air in the tank by letting air into the room.

No worries of siphoning.

sorry, I forgot to mention that the heater IS turning on and off. it is a 200 watt heater which is a little large for the tank and the temperature difference, I know (45g tank and 0-4 degree temp difference). the reason I went with it is because in the winter it will turn into more like a 10+ degree temp difference. would the larger heater right now lead to less stable temperature conditions?

Well...it does seem to be holding temp rather evenly even if it a little hot.If theres more room to turn it down I'd keep turning it down and see what happens.

I'm having the same problem in my 50g which is also has an oversized heater.Right now its a few degrees above set point so oversizing may contribute to the problem....Or at least it seems it might in each of our cases.

The advice to split the airflow, and bleed off air is the correct way to go, rather than trying to throttle the air pump. There is no need to acyually have an air bubbler, especially since you have a larger than necessary filter.
As far as the heater is concerned, if the room is at 76, youi don't need a heater. Having an over sized heater is a bad move at best. If it were to fail in the on position, which seems to be quite common, it will over heat the tank, and your fish will be dead. Look around this and other forums, and you will see that is a quite common occurrance. It is far better to have 2 lower wattage heaters than one large wttage one, for safety sake.

Back
Top Bottom