Newbie to Crowntails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crowntail

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all. We had a betta, not a crowntail though for 6 months or longer and recently died. Off to the pet store to buy another one for my daughter today. We came home with a crowntail. She named him "Fishy the fighter fish." She's 3 yrs old. I have him in a 3 gallon tank with blue rocks on the bottom, a some plastic plants and a rock with holes in it for him to pass through. What do I need to do to keep this one alive longer than the other one? I think I over fed Rose. My husband showed me tonight how much food I actually need to feed Fishy so I don't over feed him. Should I feed him every day or every other day? Also, do I need to buy a small heater? We live in the south so it's pretty warm here the majority of the time with no real cold weather. Only in the winter do I keep the thermostat at 69 to save on the electric bill. I want Fishy to live a long and healthy life.

Does the tank have a filter?

Whether it does or not, at least do weekly water changes.

69 is a bit chilly for them. We keep all our's at 75 and they are very active.

If possible, I would replace the plastic plants with silk plants. The plastic plants can tear at bettas' delicate fins. If the rock has any sharp edges at all I would remove it too.

You can feed every day. The betta's stomach is about the size of their eye. Feed no more than 4-5 betta pellets a day. I soak my pellets in tank water for about 2 minutes before feeding. The pellets will absorb the water in the cup, and not in the stomach -- if pellets expand in the stomach, it can cause bloat. It's a good idea to skip feedings one day a week to give the digestive system a rest. Bettas also enjoy freeze-dried or frozen bloodworms as a supplement to the pellet food.

I would recommend a small heater. Bettas are very sensitive to temperature fluctuations, and swings in the water temperature will often stress the betta and cause diseases like finrot. A 25-watt heater will be fine for a 3 gallon tank. I set my heaters for 80 degrees, and watch that the temperature doesn't go over 82 degrees.

Does the tank have a filter?

Whether it does or not, at least do weekly water changes.

69 is a bit chilly for them. We keep all our's at 75 and they are very active.

The tank does have a filter, It's a 3 gallon eclipse system. When I do the weekly water changes, how much should I change out? Should I do a 50% water change each week? Should I put the Betta in "Holding Tank" while I am doing the water change?

Thanks,

Kim

I would do 20-25% changes. Is he going to be the only fish in there? If so that should be good. Once a month on our 5.5 I do a 50% or more change. I would suggest taking him out while you do it. That way no accidents happen, just make sure you cover him so he doesn't jump out. I use the cups they come in since the lids already have air holes.

I second An t-siag on replacing the plastic plants with silk or even live. The java ferns and anubias are easy plants to care for and would work out well in a betta tank. I have a 1g tank on my desk at work with a betta and a piece of java fern. He loves swimming around in it. I know a 1g is small but it's all we're allowed.

Our's won't eat pellets, I use betta-min by tetra, freeze dried bloodworms and freeze dried daphnia for ours. Not all at once, but something different every other day.

DragonFish,

Yes, he is going to be the only fish in the tank. I'm going to run out today and get the silk plants and a tank heater.

One thing I do is feed mine a piece of pea each week. Thaw out a frozen pea shell it and feed it a piece a little bigger than a pellet. It helps with constipation one of the big causes of health problems in bettas. Feed freeze dried food that has been soaked with water so that the fish don't get constipated.

silk plants

I went and bought the silk plants today along with a gravel vacuum. My husband says I should not put the plants in today or vacuum the gravel as he needs a week to get used to the tank. Is he right?

I also picked up the tank heater as well. It looks like I don't need it right now as the water temperature is sitting at 82 degrees right now. As soon as the temperature starts to get cooler, I will install it in the tank during one of the weekly cleanings. I went ahead and put the plants in the tank and the little guy seems to be enjoying his many hiding places. Will take a new pic of the aquarium.

The plants will help him feel safe. It will give him something else to hide behind if he feels he needs to.

I'd wait until next week to do a water change unless you notice any cloudiness or odor. Has the tank only been set up as long as you've had him or was it set up with the last betta? If it's been set up awhile, then weekly will be fine. If it was just set up when you got him it needs to cycle and you will need to keep checking for the odor/cloudiness and do more frequent changes until it's finished cycling.

The tank is already established. It is the same tank the other betta was in. I went ahead and put the plants in and he is pretty happy. He has the back section of the tank to hide in if he needs to. He's been swimming around, flashing, and checking out his new home.

Back
Top Bottom