Newbie Water Change question(s)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ridewithme38

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, i guess i have a couple questions:

When you do a large water change, say something like 50%...do you take a bucket out of tank water and put a bucket in of fresh water over and over again...or do you remove the whole 50% and then add 50% more water?

Whats the most effective way to use prime? I've been just dripping it in the bucket of water i was about to put in the tank....seconds...before i poured it in...Should i wait? Mix it? drip it in the bucket then add the water? Pre-mix it in the tank first?

ridewithme38 said:

When you do a large water change, say something like 50%...do you take a bucket out of tank water and put a bucket in of fresh water over and over again...or do you remove the whole 50% and then add 50% more water?

Whats the most effective way to use prime? I've been just dripping it in the bucket of water i was about to put in the tank....seconds...before i poured it in...Should i wait? Mix it? drip it in the bucket then add the water? Pre-mix it in the tank first?

If your gonna do say a 50% water change do it all at once. Buckets are a pain TRUST ME I just found a python water changer is the way to go. Check link out. Anyway you do the water change all at once. When you have however much water out, add your Prime (follow directions for dosing) then temperature match water in tank to sink water with hand and fill your tank back up.

http://www.pythonproducts.com/aqprod.html

http://www.aqueonproducts.com/products/water-changer.htm

BTW... This is what I learned here on the forum. People have different ways but I think most do it this way unless it's a small tank. I was filling up to 5, 5 gallon buckets sometimes more!

ridewithme38 said:

Take the whole amount out first then replace it at the end. If you are using buckets, dose the bucket with prime for the amount in the bucket. If you are using a hose/water changer dose the whole tank with enough prime to treat ALL the water in the tank. When I use buckets for my smaller tanks i add the prime while filling the bucket so it mixes. When filling with a hose I put the prime in before I start adding new water. Apparently prime works immediately.

Doing water changes one bucket at a time like that would result in a much lower percentage water change. Two 25% water changes do not equal one 50% water change.

Back
Top Bottom