Newbie Water Test Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

moonyguy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello Everyone,

I am a new owner of a small 10 gallon tank. The tank has a waterfalls type filter and a 50w heater. I have 2 guppies, 2 neons and 1 pleco in the tank for the last few days. I got a 5 in 1 water testing kit made by Jungle.
I tested the water last night and the results didnt match with the chart that came along. I will be grateful if you guys can interpret them and tell me what needs to be done.
My results:
1. Nitrate:- Light Pink
2. Nitrite: Off White
3. Hardness:- Dark Brick red/brown
4. Alkalinity: Olivine Green
5. pH: Dark Pink (I estimated this to be about 6.0. Not sure)
clear skies
Vishnu

Unfortunately, those dip strips can be total junk. If they are old, get wet or even slightly humid, they are pretty much ruined.

I have no experience with them so I can't tell you waht the colors mean. What I can tell you is a liquid reagent test kit is better. YOu can get an aquarium pharmaceuticals one for about $20 at petco or petsmart, maybe even walmart, that'll have the tests you need. Nitrates are nice to know, but not 100% important.

Also, the pleco will outgrow the tank in a few months, and it sounds like you don't know about cycling, as you shouldn't start a new tank with fish, and certainly not that many fish.

I direct you to our Nitrogen cycle article to gain an understanding of what 'cycling' a tank means.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=21

malkore said:
Unfortunately, those dip strips can be total junk. If they are old, get wet or even slightly humid, they are pretty much ruined.

I have no experience with them so I can't tell you waht the colors mean. What I can tell you is a liquid reagent test kit is better. YOu can get an aquarium pharmaceuticals one for about $20 at petco or petsmart, maybe even walmart, that'll have the tests you need. Nitrates are nice to know, but not 100% important.

Also, the pleco will outgrow the tank in a few months, and it sounds like you don't know about cycling, as you shouldn't start a new tank with fish, and certainly not that many fish.

I direct you to our Nitrogen cycle article to gain an understanding of what 'cycling' a tank means.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=21

This article is great for explaining what happens during a cycle, but it doesn't say what to do cycle a new tank without fish and I've been having some trouble finding a good, thorough, step-by-step process. Can you recommend a site or a topic? I found one in the salt-water section, but not sure if I can do the same with freshwater...

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom