Newby Looking at Used tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matt73

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I put a "want ad" in the local paper and just received a call from a guy with two used 55 gallon Oceanic tanks, with lights, lids, stand, gravel, and about five fish, etc.

The difference is that one has a Rena Filstar XP3 and the other has an EHEIM 2229 pump.

He is asking $200 for the setup with the Rena Filstar and $300 for the one with the EHEIM. The tank with the EHEIM has a few small scratches.

What do you all recommend for a beginner? Is the price ok?

Thank you!

They're both good deals! And I think a 55 gal is perfect for a beginner because it's easier to maintain stable water parameters in larger tanks.

A 55 gal Oceanic tank/stand combo alone costs about $600 in NY (probably about 450 anywhere else). The filters go for about 150 online, then you add up the gravel, lights, lids. Wow, I wish I lived closer to WI!
Both filters are excellent, although I don't think the Eheim is necessarily worth $100 over the Filstar.

Before you buy, make sure the lights work, and that the tanks don't leak or have any cracks. Consider how you'll get the thing home. If you have to rent a van, factor that into the cost vs buying new.

If the stuff is clean , not all calciumed up and the stands are decent, it is a good deal. Eheims are bullet proof. Like Qtoffer said, 55s are the perfect size. You can do a lot with them without spending a fortune. I aquired a used 125 with a crummy stand, nothing else. By the time I rebuilt the stand, bought gravel, filters hood and heater, I had about $600 in it with NO FISH. ENJOY

Thanks

Thanks for your help. Funny how one stumbles across good deals. The tanks are clean, no build up. The stands are in average condition.

I have a Blazer that can handle everything, so I guess I am set.

He is also throwing in 3 angel fish, 1 clown loach, 1 algae eater (don't remember the species).

Thanks again.

Sounds like a good deal. It depends on if the tanks and stands are the lower grade pine, or the higher grade Oak. I have a 6 year old 55 gal Oceanic Oak trim tank, Oak trim stand, with glass lids, light, and oak trim canopy. I was thinking of selling it. My LFS advised me to sell it for $450 (no filters included). Said at $450 in the local trading times papers it would be snapped up, mostly because of the higher grade trim level.

So, at that price, even if it is the lower grade trim, still sounds like a good deal. the oceanic brand seems quite well made. Mine were in storage for years, moved by mayflower twice (not crated, just tossed in the truck) and going strong.

I believe the stands are lower grade pine. I'll have to go back and see. I have all winter since he is not going to list them for sale until spring.

As long as the tanks aren't scratched up and aren't cracked, I think it's a good deal as well. Even if they leaked, that is easy to fix as long as there aren't any cracks. A good sanding and some touch up will do wonders for the stands. Even a cheap pine stand can look really nice with the right finish on it. I also agree, even though Eheim is top of the line in canisters, that it isn't worth the extra $100...I'd probably go with the Filstar. If it's in good shape, it should give you several years of service.

I believe the stands are lower grade pine. I'll have to go back and see. I have all winter since he is not going to list them for sale until spring.
I was thinking about offering you mine. If you were from southern wisconsin, it wouldn't be that far to the chicago burbs. But I just figured out a way to rearrange my furniture to fit another tank, so I think I will hang on to it. I can't tell you how many tanks I have given away over the years, seems like you should be able to find someone who is looking to move up or change tanks and who will be willing to part with one for a reasonable deal. Sometimes just hauling it away is all that is required!

Thanks for the offer TomK2. Actually, I am near Stevens Point, so it would be quite a long drive.

Back
Top Bottom