Next step with my 125l

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steele22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Had a few small tropical tanks with fighters, tetra and guppies which are all still going well after over twelve months. Now have a 125l which i think is just cycled after 6 weeks. Want to get a couple of blue rams in another month, and try to get some babies eventually. Have 15 lemon tetra and 2 dwarf suckers stable now for a week, in the planted aquarium, also slate rocks and ever increasing driftwood pieces.
Is this a good combo if i maintain well, and if so how can i get more out of my set up? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Had a few small tropical tanks with fighters, tetra and guppies which are all still going well after over twelve months. Now have a 125l which i think is just cycled after 6 weeks. Want to get a couple of blue rams in another month, and try to get some babies eventually. Have 15 lemon tetra and 2 dwarf suckers stable now for a week, in the planted aquarium, also slate rocks and ever increasing driftwood pieces.
Is this a good combo if i maintain well, and if so how can i get more out of my set up? Thanks.

I would add the Rams last because they are sensitive and do much better in mature tanks.

Could you show us a picture of your "dwarf suckers"? I've never heard of any fish called dwarf suckers.

Fishobsessed7

Thanks, and here is a pic. Fish shop said they would stay small. Now 1.5 inches, expecting it to grow to 3 max. Water all good except ph at 7.6 which is a bit higher than i would like. The blue rams are locally bred and i hope this ph will be ok if it slowly lowers to around 7 over time.
Thinking of giving the rams a go in another week, as the rest of the fish have been settled at this stocking level for 3 weeks nearly. 15 tetra and 2 catfish. Thanks again.

Attachments

• 1426061939134.jpg
    1426061939134.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 67
That is actually a chinese algae eater! They get large and aggressive. I'd suggest trying to take it back to the store or rehome it.

Fishobsessed7

Nice one. Thougt it was a bit suspect. Good for clearing for now. Cant get real info on ottos in Melbourne Australia from fish retail outlets for some reason. What is the best 'cleaner' for my size tank. Do I even need them? Like the look of tiny black ones with white dots, but been advised hard to keep, like GBR's. Gets difficult sometimes.

Nerite snails are great! They won't reproduce in freshwater which is a plus.

F you want reproducing snails, ramshorn, pond, and Malaysian trumpet snails all make great cleaners!

Fishobsessed7

I'll get some snails for sure. Like the optics of small ones as those big ones look a bit out of place somehow. Guess it is the glass feeding. Getting GBRs this weekend. Is it worth getting 5 and puting 3 in my 125l and 2 in my much more mature 40l with the few guppies? The stock i am purchasing is just old enough to get a good guess on gender, and I can responsibly rehome additionals after selecting a couple that dig each other. (A lot of water to go under the bridge for this ideal scenario, i know). Let me know your ideas.

Went to a really good supplier in richmond, melbourne and actually found some ottos. I will get some after I can catch those pesky chinese algae eaters and rehome them. Got home tonight and found GBR fry, and lots of them. Can't begin to describe how much I was educated on this fish by watching for half an hour. Better than any live bearers by a million%. Lucky that parents look like they are chewing up the fry, but are actually collecting the stragglers and then spitting them back into the centre of the nest. Too good! If i could only bottle it!

Hero to zero in 12 hours. All gone the next morning. I have work to do on the tank community and the young couple will get better im sure. Nature can not be replocated, just we try. Separated a few fry but they are not doing well. Back to the drawing board. Not like guppy fry!!.

Back
Top Bottom