nitra zorb with cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

booginish

Aquarium Advice Activist
ok i went out and bought a nitra zorb to remove all the excess nitrite from my tank to reduce the amount of water changes dureing my cycle process, and i just wanted to know if this is a good idea? or should i return it and just continue with the water changes?

i know im close to the end of my cycle, but ya i kinda guessed that would be safer. i guess im just gonna use a blow dryer and dry it out and then return to lfs tomorrow. il leave it in for now, cant hurt. but ya thanks for the advice

ya nitra zorb made no diferrence at all in helping my tank, i am attempting a new approach of speeding my cycling process

By its very nature, a cycle can only be so fast. We are growing bacteria and that does take time. By introducing a colony of bacteria, you do indeed speed it up but only a little. Wait it out, its worth it.

The thing with nitra-zorb is, it has a very short use life before it needs to be recharged.

when you are setting up a tank nd getting a bacterial filter going, dont use it. If at some point after your cycle is done, you get a spike in nitrate/nitrite/ammonia you can use it to quickly knock down the ppm count.

But the bag only works for about 24 hours then its "full" and needs to be cleaned/recharged.

Also recharge it in distilled water, if your tap water contains any nitrate/nitrite count at all.

and, the bag will get organic waste built up in it which you cant really get rid of so you should put in in water flow that is CLEAN.

24 hours, recharge, repeat. Dropping it in a canister or hanging it in the tank for a week is useless. It MUST be recharged ever 24 hours, when it is exposed to a good flow rate.

Back
Top Bottom