Nitrate, Alkallnity, & pH levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gronkar

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone. Ok, so i decided to get an Aquarium. I started slow, got a 20 gal tank, gravel, filter, heater, water circulation and lighting. I let my beta rule it for a week, then put him in another tank and added a few nice fish. Got a molly and a few algae eaters.

Everything looks to be going just fine. But i wanted to make sure everything was ok, so i got some test strips and tested the water. Cording to the strip, my Nitrate was close to 40, nitrite was yellow when chart only goes up to light pink, and down to white.

water hardness was right in the middle, Alkallnity was way off the charts, and PH was also off the charts.

I understand paper test strips are not that accurate, so i tested 2, and both came out about the same. I do water changes often. about half a gallon is changed, Daily. i have 2 plants, a onion plant and a Rotala macrandra.

I noticed at my fish store, they have bottles of pH down. should i try those?

I do not even know how to deal with the Alkallnity. I did some research on it and the only thing i learned was to just get rid of the plants, which does not really work.

Should i change my water more often for the Nitrate? it is only a 20 gal tank. from my understanding, algae eats nitrite, correct? Should i get another plant?

all of my fish seem healthy, i am going to find a good reusable test kit and buy it, if i can find one cheap enough. I am not sure what to do, if anything. Any Advice would be helpful.

Thank you.

HI and welcome! I wouldn't worry too much about the PH and hardness, etc; most fish will adapt to your PH and trying to mess with it can just cause more problems.

The strips aren't very accurate as you know, so you might want to get the API liquid test kit. Amazon has it for a decent price. so does BigAlsOnline.

You could test your tap water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate; I suspect the nitrates might be coming from your tap water as a betta in a 20 gal for a week shouldn't have caused nitrates to climb that high.

These guides might help you some too:
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom