Nitrate found in new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bsoyer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, i have built a new 80 gal tank yesterday, filled it with tap water , applied dechlorinator, etc.
İ have also added some rocks, ship ornament and few planta from my old tank(being established for the last 5 years) to speed up cycling process.
When i first tested the water this morning (after 12 hours) i have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites , but it showed around 100 nitrates.
İs this normal at the beginning of cycling?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

İ have checked the other tank, nitrate is below 50.
İ am gonna check the tap water tonight after work:)

You added ships and rocks to your new tank so they will contain nitrifying bacteria. What did you use as a substrate?

Does your tap water contain any ammonia or nitrates?

Edit: also hobby grade nitrate test kits are not very accurate.

Hi there
By the sound of it you've jumped the cycling process because of the established rock you've already added this is why you've only got Nitrates, and by adding tapwater all you have done is add more No3 to your tank Plus Any die off from the rock or Sand you have had added.

I will test the tap water tonight, to see how it looks.
I have bought these as the substrate
Aquarium gravel beach White 1-2MM/10KG - Laroy Duvo

I will wait for few more days to be sure, if I jumped the cycle.
Thus, I will be applying the some filter media from old tank to the new one tonight.

I am hoping to introduce 1 or 2 fish to the new one in few days after being sure all is ok.
meanwhile I think I should buy some more expensive test kits for ammonia and nitrites.

thanks for all responses.

If I was you I would wait a little bit longer for your No3 to go down before introducing any fish because all that will do is push up No3 even more.

how long do you think it will take for the No3 to go down ?
note that I will setup and turn on the filter tonight.
currenty only air pump is running.

That would be hard to say as every system runs different it could be a week it could be months if left to his own devices ,The quickest solution would be to do a couple of large water charges with RO water which would bring it down straight away also you can buy certain products that help remove No3 and also keep it at bay but these products take time to kick in several weeks on average but well worth trying in the future if you're still having problems.

İ have tested the tap water and it has the same amount of nitrates between 50-100.
So this means my cycle is not started?
And i have to sort out the nitrate problem first.

I would say you will know within the next week or two if it has cycled or not if there is no show of ammonia within the next week or two.

İ have tested the tap water and it has the same amount of nitrates between 50-100.
So this means my cycle is not started?
And i have to sort out the nitrate problem first.

That's very high for tap water. If memory serves right less than 10ppm is a requirement (would have to check that). Perhaps take a sample to a fish shop for a cross-check or see if there is a local water report?

I'd agree, your cycle isn't really started and no on-going ammonia source in there to crank it along (if I'm reading right).

Link now attached:

http://www.deq.state.or.us/wq/pubs/factsheets/groundwater/nitratedw.pdf

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom