Nitrate Level

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seansarre

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi

My new setup is going well, no fish yet as the nitrate levels are between 40-60 is that acceptable
I have used API nitrate lowering solution how long does this take to work and can you do multiple doses over a few days

Hi Sean.
The only real way to get nitrates down is to do a partial water change.
I try and keep mine below 30 at all times. Some people say 20 and others say 50

Sorry I only read that you have no fish in yet. Are you cycling the tank. How are the other parameters

Tank Nitrate Level

Hi

My new setup is going well, no fish yet as the nitrate levels are between 40-60 is that acceptable
I have used API nitrate lowering solution how long does this take to work and can you do multiple doses over a few days

Hello Sean...

Hardy aquarium fish like Guppies, Platys, Swordtails, White Clouds, Rasboras and many of the Barbs would tolerate nitrates at this level. Lower, is always preferable. So, you can reduce the nitrates by introducing floating plants that thrive in high nitrate water. Brazilian Water weed, Hornwort and Pennywort are all good. I keep all of these in my planted tanks. Acurel has a nitrate lowering filter medium that's effective. Changing more tank water and changing it more often will maintain a stable water chemistry.

Chemicals are a last resort. I've never considered using them, because you don't know how your fish, plants and the good bacteria will react. There are a number of natural ways of lowering nitrates.

Just one reporter's opinion, it's totally your call.

B

You lower the nitrates through water changes, unless you are saying this is in your tap water. Unless your tap water has high nitrates, water changes should be the only method by which you remove nitrates.

I'm confused that you have no fish yet but nitrates, did you do a fishless cycle?

Yes. Fishless cycle. But I will test my tap water today

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom