Nitrate Problems?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loona-chan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I finally finished my cycle, and at the end as the article said I did about a 90% water change to get as much out as possible. I have a ten gallon tank. It seemed to be okay, in the orange range on the API test, around 20 or so ppm. That seemed quite high as I had just done a 90% water change, but I figured I was good to go, and stocked it with 2 mollies (dalmatian and gold dust).

I added fish and about 10 days later I checked nitrates again, and they were firmly in the red. I wasn't sure exactly how high on the API test, as 40-80 both look exactly the same to me, even in a well-lit room. Anyway I've done around 40-50% water changes for three straight days after- and it's still in the red. Do they normally go up so quickly? I was under the impression that Nitrates would only get out of hand once a month and would only required a quarter water change. Do water changes do nothing about nitrates? Is there something I'm missing here to try and get nitrates down? If there is, then what is the best product for it? It looks to be a lighter shade of red now after three days (I guess), which means it might be coming down, but it's still hard to tell. The associated threads don't seem to treat nitrates as being as important to keep down as ammo and nitrite, should I be worried if it's in the red for a few days or should I rush out and do something? Thanks.

Neither of the fish seem to be showing signs of sickness or other problems, at this stage. Also, before anyone brings it up, I'm following the directions for the nitrate tests closely.

Update: I tested my tap water source and that is testing in the orange range, around 10-20ppm. Is this normal, or something I should be worried about?

Update 2: I tested from a jug of a distilled bottled water I had and it tested 0 as one would expect, meaning it's not a problem with the test. Still trying to check whether 20ppm of Nitrate is normal in municipal water supplies...

Have you tested your tap water for nitrate?

I addressed it in the original post (probably after you posted), and yes, it seems it's testing for at least 10ppm Nitrate, which is the maximum amount allowed by the EPA. If it is any higher then that would be illegal... unfortunately I can't tell between 10 and 20 on the card.

Anyway, I may have answered my own question. I'll try to replace my water with distilled water from now on.

Your Mollies

Hello loona...

Maybe you already knew this, but wanted test the theory. Mollies won't survive long in a small tank that has a tendency toward sudden changes in the water chemistry. They are extremely particular fish when it comes to water conditions. Not a good beginner fish if you're just starting in the water keeping hobby. If you want to keep a very small tank, then Zebra Danios or Platys would be much better. Just keep 3 or 4 at most.

Twice weekly water changes of at least half the tank water would be good if you want the fish to survive.

Just a thought.

B

Don't use distilled. There are no minerals in it, which fish need to survive. If you are going to use bottled water, use spring water or treated drinking water (dechlorinated of course).

I agree that a 10 gallon is too small for mollies. Platies are a similar fish that would have been better suited to that tank size. If you Google a specific fish breed, you will be able to find tank size requirements for it.

About the partial water changes to keep nitrates in check, you should be doing them weekly. How much will depend on how quickly the nitrates build up. Every tank is different, based on stocking, feeding, plants, etc. There is no "one size fits all" formula. Nitrates are not an immediate threat like ammonia and nitrites, but prolonged exposure to them at elevated levels will take their toll on your fish and they will get sick and die. Aim for keeping them below 20ppm. Lower is better if you don't have live plants to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm not going to argue about fish selection, every source I've seen says mollies will do just fine in 10 gallons so long as you don't overstock. 2-3 mollies in a ten gallon tank doesn't seem to be overdoing it. I've started to shut out advice of "which fish?" because I've gotten about 70 different answers from various sources. I don't want to get tiny fish that I can barely see only to be told by someone else I should have at least 30 gallons for ghost shrimp otherwise you're torturing them. I don't have room for anything other than a 10 gallon tank.

I can see if I can get bottle spring water, I'm just afraid I'm going to have another problem and have to come back only for someone else to tell me that spring water is bad.

I'm not going to argue about fish selection, every source I've seen says mollies will do just fine in 10 gallons so long as you don't overstock. 2-3 mollies in a ten gallon tank doesn't seem to be overdoing it. I've started to shut out advice of "which fish?" because I've gotten about 70 different answers from various sources. I don't want to get tiny fish that I can barely see only to be told by someone else I should have at least 30 gallons for ghost shrimp otherwise you're torturing them. I don't have room for anything other than a 10 gallon tank.

I can see if I can get bottle spring water, I'm just afraid I'm going to have another problem and have to come back only for someone else to tell me that spring water is bad.

You should really do some more research on your own then.

You are right--there is bad advice given. There is also good advice given. By doing your own research, it is pretty easy to start discerning the bad advice from the good.

That's too bad about the nitrate level of your tap water. I had 1 ppm ammonia and 5 ppm nitrate in my tap a few years ago. Depending on your lighting, perhaps you can use various plants to reduce the nitrate levels in your tank.

You should really do some more research on your own then.

You are right--there is bad advice given. There is also good advice given. By doing your own research, it is pretty easy to start discerning the bad advice from the good.

I've done research on my own, every big fish/aquarist site says 10 is acceptable along with my local fish store. The only time it changes is when I ask random people online, and the mark starts to move from 20 to 30.

I have read that 20 might be ideal, but that 10 is acceptable at the right stocking levels. You can disagree with that, but I can also disagree with you, as you're just another random person on the internet with yet another opinion. I've learned how to discern between decent advice, bad advice, and advice from people who might be knowledgeable but can only see things in a cold binary.

Back
Top Bottom