Nitrate question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

new2betas

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought the API Freshwater master test kit before I started my cycling. I am now on day 5 of my cycling. My problem is - it appears my nitrates are starting to rise somewhat, but I can't tell for sure what the reading is. According to the test swatch my nitrates are above 0, but not a 5. How do I know what they are? They could be a 1, 2, 3, or a 4. It is a good thing that my nitrates are starting to rise, yes :?:

between 1-5 is ok. No real need to know exact numbers. Rising is definitely a good thing! How are the Nitrites and Ammonia? Does the Ammonia drop to zero every day yet?

nitrates are 0 and ammonia is around a 4-5. My ammonia is not dropping yet....but it took me a while to get it up to where it is now. Should it be dropping to 0 every day? This is all so confusing....I was never very strong in chemistry...lol

According to the test swatch my nitrates are above 0, but not a 5. How do I know what they are? They could be a 1, 2, 3, or a 4. It is a good thing that my nitrates are starting to rise, yes :?:
I'm confused... Are the Nitrates rising, or are they still at Zero?

What are you using as an ammonia source? The way it works is that the ammonia should start to drop at the same time that NitrItes start to rise. Then, NitrItes spike super high, and start to drop as NitrAtes start to rise. When the source of ammonia can no longer keep up with the bacteria's ability to eat it all (daily ammonia tests are at Zero, even though you add more each day), and the NitrItes are at Zero as well, then you are ready for a good PWC and some fish! :)

Make sense?

Don't even test nitrates until you see nitrites. The reading will be wrong. Ammonia sometimes messes up the functionality of the reagents. Ideally, you want nitrates around 20 or lower. They will probably peak much higher than that by the time cycling is done, then just do some water changes and they will lower and like Catatonic said, you can start adding stuff!

My mistake....my nitrAtes are around a 3-4 and my ammonia is around a 3-4 also. I added ammonia about 24 hours ago but none since. But my nitrites are still at 0. Is there something I am doing wrong?
My ammonia source is clear ammonia.

Day 5 is too soon for the ammonia to start dropping to 0 every day. Don't worry, you're on schedule. If you're getting some Nitrate, then the cycle is gearing up, just needs time to get to the point where it can handle a full load. Remember, Ammonia turns into Nitrite, Nitrite turns into Nitrate, and high Nitrate means water change time.

Do you have a Nitrite test? (Not really necessary, you'll just have to wait a few days longer after Ammonia is going to 0.)

My guess is that your cycle hasn't really started going yet and the NitrAte readings you're getting are for another reason (either your source water has some NitrAtes or as Devlishturtles said the Ammonia may be affecting the accuarcy).

I would assume that until you see a NitrIte reading over zero that your bacteria haven't really colonized yet. So keep adding that Ammonia, and soon you'll be on your way to a cycled tank.

Yeah a good thing to do would be to test your tap water or whatever you use for the tank to see what that reads just for reference. Other than that your on schedule like others said. Your dont have fish in the tank I hope? Dont even bother testing nitrAtes until after nitrItes show up.

I 'm new so I did a fish cycle w/o a heater and it took 1month for nitrites to show up, then 1 more month for them to drop. I think I did too many w/c's because the API test kit is hard to read and I was nervous. I did loose 1 fish who starting acting bad as soon as Nitrites showed up(and I added slight salt to help).

Good luck just be patient it should take a month or so to be cycled.

Exactly. My 10g took about 4-5 weeks to cycle from scratch. Keep the ammonia up to 4-5, and test it at the end of the first week. By that time, it should start to drop a bit. Then, test daily to be sure the ammonia stays up at 4-5ppm. When you see that the Ammonia starts to drop, start testing NitrItes. Let the NitrItes spike as high as they want to go, and keep the Ammonia up to 4-5ppm. After a week or 2 of high nitrItes, they will start to drop, and you can start testing for nitrAtes. Once a daily dose of 4-5ppm of Ammonia is wiped out, and nitrItes are also zero, just do a big PWC to knock the nitrAtes below 20, and add fish!

Keep the heater, air stone(s) and filter cranking the whole time. Once the cycle is done, you can cut the air back to the normal operating rate.

Back
Top Bottom