Nitrate question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hdlorider93

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, i started a 27 gallon cubed aquarium 3 weeks tommorow. My ammonia has been dropping from 4.0ppm to 1.0ppm within a 24 hour period. My nitrites have been a violet color that really hasn't looked like anything on the chart. Last week i started to see a rise in my nitrates to about 5.0 and 10.0ppm however now this week i'm seeing no nitrates. My PH hasn't changed any since i started right around 7.8 or so. I've been keeping my ammonia up to 4.0ppm. Temp is around 82 with a bubble wand and a marineland filter. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I was where you are now just last week. Do I understand right, nitrites are very high?

I did three huge water changes (60 - 80 %) until my nitrites were in a readable range, that is, not top of the chart.

I think such high nitrites can slow the growth of the nitrate producing bacteria, and even if it doesn't, the high levels can mask what's really going on.

My tank completed its cycle two or three days later.

Just remember to use a dechlorinator when you do the water change and all should be well

I'll give that a try this evening, thanks. How much time did give in between each water change?

I dont think it matters. I waited 24 hours between the first and second changes because I just could not believe how high the nitrites were. Then I did 2 and 3 straight after each other.

I also did a good gravel vacuum as there were some dead leaves and a bit of old food I added, which were probably adding to the problem.

Most of the bacteria is in your filter, so water changes should not harm the cycle.

Back
Top Bottom