Nitrate showing up a few days after nitrite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs.h2012

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just did my one of my daily water tests.... And these were my results..
Ammo:.25-.5ppm
Nitrite: 1-2ppm
Nitrate: 0-5ppm
pH: 7.8
the nitrate was very slight trace, I don't think it's dark enough to be 5 but it's definitely not 0, it was darker than yellow... Is this possible or do you guys think its a fluke? Obviously with levels like these I'm doing a massive WC as I'm typing this. Here is the picture of the nitrite and nitrate tests. What would you say the levels are?

Attachments

• image-3177135826.jpg
    image-3177135826.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 71
I even retested my water, this was the result

Attachments

• image-686384272.jpg
    image-686384272.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 72
Nothing wrong with that, happens nearly every time I cycle - that those Nitrites getting straight to work. I usually find getting the Nitrite level to drop takes a bit of time, though as its a smallish tank it might happen quickly - sooo close to finished!

Makes me happy to know its just not a fluke! I these were my results at my testing at 6:30 after an 80-90% WC...
Ammo: .25ppm
Nitrite: .25ppm (or atleast I think it is)
Nitrate: 0-5ppm (again that's what I think)
I'm attaching a picture of the results so anyone else can say what they think levels are.

Attachments

• image-2016536422.jpg
    image-2016536422.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 63
Did you test your tap water for nitrates as well? You appear to have the same reading (based on pics) before and after the 80-90%wc. Its not zero but def closer to/@ 5ppm.

jlk said:
Did you test your tap water for nitrates as well? You appear to have the same reading (based on pics) before and after the 80-90%wc. Its not zero but def closer to/@ 5ppm.
I tested my tap water when I first got my test kit almost a month ago, it had trace of ammonia (wasn't quite .25 but definitely wasn't 0 either) and 0 nitrite and nitrates. This is my 5th day of the 4th week of my fish in cycle. I had a slight ammonia spike about a week ago for a good 3-5 days then I nitrites started showing up a few days ago and today I had nitrates.

Looks like you are moving right along. The nitrite to nitrate portion of the cycle is faster than the initial ammonia to nitrite one for a few reasons.

Hopefully all will go well and you'll be done in the next week or two.

Thanks for the info! It may be worth double checking your tap water for nitrates only because your readings (based on the pics) appear identical both before and after a big water change. Tap nitrates can vary a bit and you need to be able to have a good idea of nitrate increases as your cycle progresses. :)

Just did another test...
Results were the same as the 6:30 test, .25 for ammonia and nitrite and 0-5 (closer to 5) nitrate

I'm asking this only because I don't see anybody else mentioning it but did you really shake those nitrate bottles good before your test? I had a couple of funny readings early on in my fishless cycle because I didn't shake the bottles real good before I tested.

cwmont13 said:
I'm asking this only because I don't see anybody else mentioning it but did you really shake those nitrate bottles good before your test? I had a couple of funny readings early on in my fishless cycle because I didn't shake the bottles real good before I tested.

Yes I did. I also bang them against something a few times after shaking them too. I've read those posts too and make sure I do that everytime before testing.

Back
Top Bottom