Nitrates (40ppm) in Tap Water!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tarkus2112

Aquarium Advice Activist
So last night I finally got out my nifty API liquid master test kit and tested my tap water.

Everything looks good except for my Nitrates. My test results were:

PH: 7.4-7.8 (not exactly sure, colors are very close on chart)
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 40ppm

What exactly am I supposed to do if my tap water already contains more nitrates than the minimum amount allowed in my tank. Wouldn't partial water changes be worthless? :confused:

I'd do 2 additional tests before declaring this an issue.

1) Take a sample of the water from the tap and let it sit out for 12 hours or so and then test it. This generally is done when there are pH issues in the water, but it might yield some change in the nitrate levels too.

2) take a sample that has been treated with your dechlorinator (such as Prime) and test that, see what you get.

If you still determine there is a problem i would look into a RO/DI unit. It removes everything from your tap water. Then you get a suppliment (instead of dechlorinator) that replenishes the things you actually want in there to keep your fish healthy.

I'd do 2 additional tests before declaring this an issue.

1) Take a sample of the water from the tap and let it sit out for 12 hours or so and then test it. This generally is done when there are pH issues in the water, but it might yield some change in the nitrate levels too.

2) take a sample that has been treated with your dechlorinator (such as Prime) and test that, see what you get.

Yeah I'm going to test my tank water tonight when I get home and hopefully start my cycle. I finally found ammonia without surfactants!:p Thank you Ace Hardware. haha

My tank has been up and running for about 3 days and the only thing I added was API Tap Water Conditioner. Hopefully things have evened out by now. I'm ready to get this show on the road.

Just curious....

How accurate are the API liquid test kits?

Because my nitrates could theoretically be anywhere from 20ppm to 80ppm depending how I interpret the results. It doesn't help that the colors are very similar on the test card.

and even if it was 40ppm, who's to say it really isn't 30ppm? or if you get a reading of 20ppm, how do you know it is 20ppm and not 30ppm? The reason I ask is because the test kits don't measure in increments of 1. They go up exponentially from 1 to 10 to 20 to 40 to 80.

:confused: Am I over thinking this? haha

It takes a bit to really get the hang of reading the test. Make sure you hold the tube in front of the white section next to the color chart. It also helps to view them in an area of high light. If you have a bring lamp or something in the house take the test there and stand right in front of it. Even then there is still a little guess work.

See if this thread I started on API kits helps:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f60/observations-on-api-test-kits-126327.html

Also, get yourself a samll amount of RO water from your grocery store. Take a sample of your tank water and dilute it 50/50, mix and test. The take a sample and dilute it 25/75, mix, test. Repeat until the Nitrate kit reads 5ppm (just turning light orange). Then multiply the result by your dilution factor and compare that to what you were considering the 100% tank water reading to be.

What I have found is that you have to move back and forth between holding the test tube against the white portion of the color card and standing the tube on the card in your hand, then 'ballpark' it. You get used to seeing the color variations over time. For instance, 40ppm FW Nitrate will look mainly reddish with a slight tinge of orange against the card, but will have a more orange-ish tint when standing on top of the card.

I have seen that in the Master Test Kit, they started including a color card for all the kits included on one big card, which IMO was a really bad idea. The one I have has individual cards and it much easier to read. Also the combo-card I saw looked like it had faded or different colors (poor printing maybe). Reminds me of the color card I saw in an LFS that looked like it had bleach poured on it at some point.

40 of nitrates generally won't pass municipal water quality standards ... Unless you have well water, I would be a bit suspicious of the 40 ppm result.

The nitrate test is rather tricky to do. You have to follow the test method exactingly ... esp. with the shaking, etc. Bottle #2 is an emulsion, and if you don't shake it enough, you get some wonky result.

So, the first thing to do is to validate your test. Get some distilled water & test that, you should get zero. If not, you have a bad test kit or bad technique. <Incidentally, if you have done a few tests without proper shaking, the concentration of reagent in the bottles will no longer be right, and the kit is toast ... Happened to me before, have to go buy new reagents.>

If you have some nitrate (like KNO3 fertilizer if you are doing plants), you can make a known concentration of NO3 with distilled water. Test that & note what the color change is. That gives you a far better idea of what the color change is supposed to be, rather than relying on the card. If you don't have nitrate to play with, then do the serial dilution as outlined above. You should see the nitrate level decreasing with your dilution. If the dilution doesn't reduce the nitrate level (or if the stock test solution tested way off), again your test kit is toast.

Finally, if you have municipal water, try to get a water quality report. <My water co post the daily test report on-line.> That should tell you how much nitrate is supposed to be in the water.

If you really have 40 of nitrate in your water, you will need to doctor the water. A RO/DI unit is prob best for big tanks. For small tanks, you may consider getting RO water from the grocery store, or using bottled water. You can either get straight RO & mix in an appropriate FW buffer salt, or mix in some tap with the RO to get an appropriate buffering capacity. <Exactly what is best depends on what actually is in your tap water.>

I tested my tank water last night and got pretty much the same results. I decided to start my cycle anyway. I think keeping my water parameters stable and constant is more important than trying to match some unobtainable value. Wish me luck!:p

For reference I do have a private well and I followed the instructions on the API test kit exactly. I live in Lancaster, PA surrounded by fields which is prime farm land and I think that is the reason for my high nitrates. Runoff is a pain in the arse.

I guess I'll just have to deal with the high nitrates. I've read hundreds of articles relating to NITRATES and from what I gather, the recommended ppm that fish will tolerate is anything less than 50ppm, although the ideal is to keep it under 20ppm. I've seen people say 20ppm, 30ppm and even up to 80ppm but that seems a little high. I don't really want to hassle with buying RO water or a RO/DI unit. Ugh.

The reality is that while many claim that fish will start dying when your nitrates reach 80 or 100 ppm, I know this in untrue. I have a 10g tank and it was overcrowded with fry (like 200 1/2" to 3/4" swordtails) and I had a very busy time of the year and the nitrates were well over 150 and I had no deaths.

I have 'rescued' several SW tanks that have been severely neglected to the point where the Nitrates were over 800 ppm and the fish are still alive (2 months to ratchet the nitrate down below 100, then still alive for 8 months). It will contribute to stress, so if the fish are battling it may be bad, or infection may get hold more easily, but it alone won't cause death. What I've basically figured out is that fish will live in high nitrates IF and ONLY IF they are acclimated to it. The situations with the 2 tanks I rescued are perfect examples, both had not had a PWC done in 3 years and the fish were fine. In one tank, a fish was added and was on it's side on the bottom of the tank in less than 4 hours (after I told him not to add any fish) but the Yellow Tang that had been in there for a while was fine.

All that being said, you want lower nitrates, that is the end goal. I would suggest if you have well water that you make your tank a heavily planted system to suck out the nitrates.

RO/DI isn't that expensive. I got mine off eBay for $114 shipped and it's a 150 GPH system. You might need a pressure booster depending on your water pressure though and would need to pre-filter much more depending on what's in your water.

So do you drink your tap water? Yuck!

RO/DI isn't that expensive. I got mine off eBay for $114 shipped and it's a 150 GPH system. You might need a pressure booster depending on your water pressure though and would need to pre-filter much more depending on what's in your water.

So do you drink your tap water? Yuck!

No I don't drink it. haha. Although I did a couple times when I was out of bottled water and I'm still alive. haha :)

as for the RO/DI unit. Is it a pain to use as far as upkeep and maintenance or is it pretty self sufficient?

Pretty self-sufficient, but you do need to test TDS (total dissolved solids) occasionally to make sure it's running right. The better models have dual in-line TDS meters so that you can monitor incoming and final TDS at all times, so that you know when you need to change your filters.

For FW, you have to add back in some of what the filter takes out though. Not for SW, that's what salt mix does.

I agree with Floyd. 40 isn't REAL bad, although ideally you would want to have 20 or less. You can prob manage if you acclimatize your fish carefully.

I am glad you don't drink your well water. That level of nitrate is not good for you ... plus you don't know what else is in there ....

<Incidentally, never use that water for a baby! Adults can handle the nitrates, babies can't. Bacteria in gut transform the nitrate to nitrites ... and babies cannot handle the nitrites .... Drinking Water: Nitrate and Methemoglobinemia ("Blue Baby" Syndrome), G98-1369 >

You can justify having a RO unit for your drinking water, and use it for your tank as well. I have never use an RO unit, but my inlaws have one for drinking because their well has high nitrates as well. Theirs had been pretty maintenance free.

If you were to use your well water for your tank, having live plant to suck up the nitrate is a good idea. Something easy & fast growing like hornwort, elodea & other floaters are great for this. Algae will also suck up nitrates. Some cultivate soft green algae to remove nitrates, although they usually do it in a sump/fuge for looks. Growing algae is usually easier than growing plants, (plus they come free!) Soft green algae is also good fish food for herbivores.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom