Nitrates before Nitrites??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BBailey0625

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi people, Im still cycling and I tested today for ammonia nitrites nitrates and pH. Ammonia was at .25ppm, no nitrites, but there were traces of nitrates, id say about 3ppm. Anybody know why nitrates before nitrites and is this a problem? pH is still stable at around 7.8-8.

check your tap water. you probably have some nitrates in your tap water. it is common. it is a good idea to test your tap anyway - that way you know what your are starting with

Its been almost 2 weeks cycling with fish in and the ammonia has not gone any lower then .25ppm but the good thing I guess is that it hasnt gone any higher neither. Im guessing me doing proper mantienance is preventing higher amm level?When should I expect traces of nitrites?

And should I expect the ammonia to peak out or get any higher than it is?

Aspencer said:
Your ammonia should go to zero when your bacteria multiplies enough to handle it even though you may have some in your water.

So do you think im trending more on the down side or up with an ammonia level at .25ppm

If you are only 2wks into a fish-in cycle, your amm may climb higher but it also may not. Just stay on top of your daily tests & water changes. Fish-in cycling does require some patience & can last anywhere from 6-8wks or possibily longer. Once you have steady readings of 0 amm & 0 nitrites with an inceasing level nitrates, you will be cycled. As suggested, make sure you test your tap for amm, nitrite & nitrate so you know what you are putting into your tank. Keep up the good work! :)

Sounds good. Ill make sure I stay on top of things and test my tap.

how many fish and how big is your tank? what is your filtration? depending on how many fish and how big your tank is may help determine if you are going to experience higher ammonia etc. the more fish you have, the more ammonia they produce. if you have a big tank and a few fish then your BB (beneficial bacteria) may have time to grow fast enough to handle your load with out the ammonia going too high. if you have a smaller tank with lots of fish then you might get some higher numbers. every tank is different, so just keep testing and changing that water.
I am cycling a 20 gallon with lots of little molly fry (and other guys) in there and I am still battling ammonia after almost 2 months. but not too high. At some points along the way I think the highest I got up to was 1ppm but that was all managed through water changes. I will let you know when I spike on the nitrites. I cycled my 5 gallon and had a nice spike on nitrites! lots of water changes for those... and I thought ammonia was going to be the real issue!!

I have 4 long fin blue danios in a 20 gal long with quiet flow external filter made for a 30 gal with 200 gph.

BBailey0625 said:
I have 4 long fin blue danios in a 20 gal long with quiet flow external filter made for a 30 gal with 200 gph.

Interesting, that is exactly what I have in my 20 gal. I have also seen nitrates without nitrites yet. It's been four weeks today since I set it up. Still waiting for that ammo to go away. So many water changes have been done!

Yeah I tested my tap and there were nitrates in it, it might be that the 4 danios arent enough to bio load the tank, should I try adding 2 more or should I leave it at 4 & be patient & ride it out?

Yeah I tested my tap and there were nitrates in it, it might be that the 4 danios arent enough to bio load the tank, should I try adding 2 more or should I leave it at 4 & be patient & ride it out?

If you had never seen any level of amm, I would say add 2 more but you are getting amm readings. I would be patient & see what the next few wks bring. If you begin to get consistent readings of 0 amm, 0 nitrite (before any water changes), then it should be ok to add two more fish. :)

Back
Top Bottom